W205 - Can't bloody get in the thing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Forestier

Car
W205 C200 AMG PREMIUM PLUS AUTO ESTATE
I have had my W205 C-Class Estate since last September but not done many miles over the winter in UK.
Two weeks ago, I drove down to a holiday home in South West France and really enjoyed the trip. I was very pleased with my previous W204 but this was better in every way.
Until yesterday morning that is.
Went to the car and keyless opening not working.
Temporary failure I thought so pressed the fob button, still won't open.
Ah, try the other key fob - that doesn't do it either.
Ah, simultaneous battery failure in two separate fobs?
Put a new battery in - no difference.Simple solution, use the emergency key.
Oh, that goes in and turns but nothing happens. Tried emergency key from second fob, you've guessed it.
Really getting annoyed now.:wallbash:
Browsed forums and was reminded that the Mobile.me app has an unlocking function.
At last, car opens. Remove start button and key fob starts car. This feels like progress.
Contacted Mobilo breakdown and car is now in nearest Main dealer. They couldn't get it to unlock either.
I can live with occasional glitches with the electronic access system but it is a bit rich when the old fashioned back up mechanical key system also fails.
Good job I wasn't 200 miles from home in an underground car park when it happened. No mobile signal, no app to gain entry.
Not good design Mercedes! Why does the car only have one key operated lock for manual entry, even a second key accessible lock in the tailgate would have saved the day?
Should get a call tomorrow with an update and will post results.

Last edited:
I could accept an electrical failure with the keyless go, but to be unable to gain entry with the metal blade key is unacceptable.
I'd be rightly annoyed like yourself as this isn't good for a practically new car.
Hope the dealer sorts things to your satisfaction.

emergency key turns, then you pull the handle twice and the lock comes up...

Let us know if they solve it!

Thought I read somewhere that to open the door with the emergency blade key one must turn the key and simultaneously pull the handle? Or maybe one had to do two turns in quick succession.

Ha! Snap!!

Thought it was something non-intuitive.

If only it were that simple!
Believe me when I say that every combination of twist & pull has been tried.
Even the dealership mechanics couldn't get it to work.
My guess is broken internals in door lock mechanism.

Not sure how that could be if the Mobile.me app could release the lock? That would just be a signal over the CAN network as would trying the remote fob unlock.

So are you saying that the primary drivers door lock has no mechanical connection to the drivers door pop up button? So the key slot only operates as an electronic switch?
The Dealer's service guy showed me a working system on a workshop car and it seemed as if it was a mechanical process but maybe that was just the 'thunk' of the door buttons popping up?
If the metal key/driver's door lock is only electronic then it is not much use as a backup when the main key fob electronic system fails!
Who's in charge of locks on the design team?

DEALER UPDATE
Had to phone them twice today and only just got a call back from the man in service reception, ( just like in UK).
Two separate problems.
1. Piece in door lock mechanism broken.
2. Ditto for key fob operated lock/unlock system. I think he said '..piece metallique' broken but not certain as speaking technical french over the phone is not my strong point.
Bad news is that it is in bits now and the parts do not arrive until Friday morning.
We are due in Barcelona for mid-day so will have to take my wife's 2003 Audi A4 Cabriolet instead. Hope it lasts the trip as it normally only does local runs when we are in France. Got to get there though as Mr. Springsteen will be furious if we are not in the crowd for his Nou Camp concert on Saturday night.
And, my son phoned from UK this morning. Third day on a new job and his car would not start this morning so very late for work.
And, just to top the week off, my Canon printer has just gone **** up.
Have I done something really bad and I just don't know it?:confused:

PS
Suggest anyone reading this check their emergency key works - may save you a lot of hassle.

2. Ditto for key fob operated lock/unlock system. I think he said '..piece metallique' broken but not certain as speaking technical french over the phone is not my strong point.

Do you think he meant in the fob? I'm guessing it must be if the car could be opened using Mercedes Me, but it seems incredibly unlikely that both would break.

Pretty sure he was referring to module in car.
Will get the full explanation when I collect on Thursday and post the details in case anyone else has similar problem in the future.
Just going to forget about until next week and enjoy the vibe in BCN.
Tapas please with mucho vino tinto!

Last edited:
Think MB is in a slightly better position than BMW keyless, their fobs are keyless only and can't be used to start the car in a normal manner by inserting into the dash.

It's odd why both key remotes did not unlock the car with button presses.

Pretty sure he was referring to module in car.
Will get the full explanation when I collect on Thursday and post the details in case anyone else has similar problem in the future.

Thanks for starting this thread by telling us about this problem; how did it end up?

Got me thinking about my new C350e so that I'm going to try the emergency key operation.

The automatic door locking function relies on various sensors, one of which is road speed. You can hear the locks click as you accelerate. If the sensor is faulty and sends a continuous speed signal to the computer, might that not prevent the doors being unlocked - even from the outside? I have read of one case for my car for which the solution is to disconnect the battery. I can't remember what it was but doing that would certainly fool the pesky computer!

Just collected from Dealer

Just got back after collecting the car from the Mercedes dealer in Montauban, about a 40 minute drive.
All working now, the service manager said it was only one part that caused both problems. A metal part of the drivers door lock was broken and has been replaced. My French was not up to quizzing him on the details especially after a 5 hour drive from Barcelona, (great place to visit if you haven't been).
They kindly left the Comand System displaying in French, simple menu change to correct.
So good news is that I have a working car back.
The bad news is that the mechanic did not properly attach the inner door panel, flush at the top by the pop up lock button but a 20mm gap and loose at the hinge end.
Expletive deleted.
Luckily, I have to visit the town on Monday and they have promised to put a mechanic straight on it.
C'est la vie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom