w205 Direct Injection or Faulty HPFP?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mansoor82

Car
2014 w205 C180 1.6L
Hi folks, I have a w205 2014 1.6L 154HP. I am skeptical of the fact that the noise in this video is normal and is Direct Injection (DI) only:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can someone confirm if their w205 is giving out the same noise? The dealership says its just DI, not a faulty High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP). But this noise is also traveling into the cabin and it was not the case a couple weeks back.

The cabin noise is something like this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Completely normal noise.

Completely normal noise.
If you hear the second video of cabin noise (using headphones to hear clearly), the ringing/resonance sound which seems similar to the HPFP sound was not coming before. The cabin was absolutely quite. Its a nuisance especially when I accelerate, the car seems cheap with all this ringing.

Update: Problem has been resolved. The cabin noise was coming in via the steering shaft and its boot (in the driver's footwell).

A tip to diagnose is this: This cabin noise comes in even when the car is stationary, a very subtle ringing (this ringing is definitely coming in from the HPFP). Just rotate the steering a bit and it will change in intensity. This helped me diagnose the problem. Giving dealership a heads-up on the issue saved time and money.

They quickly figured out the problem and ordered new part for me. They even pushed a cloth inside the shaft to test the hypothesis and the noise was gone.

Many people change their HPFP or Wrist Pins because of this issue. It is not so uncommon, many cars are suffering from this issue and people do not know a fix.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom