W205 Door Handle LED's and Aux Battery.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Treborsweet

Car
Mercedes S205 C250 Premium Plus Diamond White 2017
Hi all,

Couple of issues, had the car 8 months (2017 C250) with Mercedes extended warranty.
I changed the reverse bulbs to led as they were normal bulbs, while every other bulb in the car are led (headlights & tail lights etc) might be coincidence but i'v noticed that 2 of my door handle led bulbs have dimmed to a violet colour (drivers front & passenger rear), could this happen by putting in leds?

Also my start/stop doesn't seem to be working, didn't work during winter, then worked a couple of times in the last month, now nothing at all again, would these items be covered under warranty? could it be the start/stop aux battery/capacitor?

The door handle LED problem is well known. On our car the driver‘s door LED is now quite dim. They are apparently a bit of a pain to change. Have to take the door card off and fiddle about inside the door. I doubt these are covered by warranty.

The stop-start function seems to have a mind of its own and even if it’s working I turn it off anyway. If the auxiliary battery goes into fault, an error message will come up on the dash. Ours was changed under warranty.

The door handle LED problem is well known. On our car the driver‘s door LED is now quite dim. They are apparently a bit of a pain to change. Have to take the door card off and fiddle about inside the door. I doubt these are covered by warranty.

The stop-start function seems to have a mind of its own and even if it’s working I turn it off anyway. If the auxiliary battery goes into fault, an error message will come up on the dash. Ours was changed under warranty.
Could it be the main battery then?
I turn mine off, but if under warranty might as well get it sorted as its going in for service very shortly.

Last edited:
It may not be anything other than the system itself deciding it’s not going to function at the moment. It doesn’t seem to work unless the planets are aligned...

[UNHELPFUL POST START]

[PEDANT MODE START]

Strictly speaking, upgrading to LED any bulb that is part of a car lighting system that requires type-approved, i.e. E mark, is illegal unless the car manufacturer (or anyone else) has type-approved the specific LED upgrade.

[/PEDANT MODE STOP]

On a practical level, it is unlikely to land you in any sort of trouble, though.

Disclaimer: this is not to endorse or condone any mod that might be deemed illegal.... so proceed at your own risk :)

[/UNHELPFUL POST STOP]

The door handle LEDs are starting to fail when they go violet. They are a known problem but even within the 3 year warranty when my car was new the dealer would not replace them until they did not light up. Refitting is a faff but at least the ones that I replaced in 2018 are the new updated ones that keep water out and seem to be ok. Units now about £23 for LED, fitting would take garage about 20-30 minutes.
Stop start requires a healthy main battery among many other things. On my 2016 car it became very reluctant to work more than once. Replaced the battery during first lockdown and despite very few runs and only a short distance stop start working ok. It’s worth noting that if car is doing an exhaust regen the green lamp goes yellow till the regen is done.

Could it be the main battery then?
I turn mine off, but if under warranty might as well get it sorted as its going in for service very shortly.
The Start/Stop on my C63 was temperamental from the day I picked it up (a '17 plate car with 15k up, new to me in July 2020). Eventually stopped working altogether over the winter so got the auxiliary battery replaced when it was serviced in February, it now works faultlessly within a few minutes of starting driving in virtually all conditions.

FYI, I got no warning on the dash and frankly wouldn't really expect to, unless there was some major fault with the aux battery.

The Start/Stop on my C63 was temperamental from the day I picked it up (a '17 plate car with 15k up, new to me in July 2020). Eventually stopped working altogether over the winter so got the auxiliary battery replaced when it was serviced in February, it now works faultlessly within a few minutes of starting driving in virtually all conditions.

FYI, I got no warning on the dash and frankly wouldn't really expect to, unless there was some major fault with the aux battery.
You took the words out of my mouth in your last sentence, others have said a warning comes up.
I picked up mine in July 2020 as well, worked for a couple of months and like yours it gave up altogether over winter, I'm in for a service on Thursday and its noted on the service booking (start/stop not working) under warranty so fingers crossed.
Thanks.

You took the words out of my mouth in your last sentence, others have said a warning comes up.
I picked up mine in July 2020 as well, worked for a couple of months and like yours it gave up altogether over winter, I'm in for a service on Thursday and its noted on the service booking (start/stop not working) under warranty so fingers crossed.
Thanks.
Went in for service and and Mercedes said the start/stop not working is the main battery, the girl quoted me on the phone £445.
Arrived there and greeted by the manager, he explained the problem, i asked if its covered by warranty? he went away and come back and said yes all covered.
New battery fitted and as soon as i drove out the the dealership green start/stop symbol on the dashboard and working like new.

The door handle LEDs are starting to fail when they go violet. They are a known problem but even within the 3 year warranty when my car was new the dealer would not replace them until they did not light up. Refitting is a faff but at least the ones that I replaced in 2018 are the new updated ones that keep water out and seem to be ok. Units now about £23 for LED, fitting would take garage about 20-30 minutes.
Stop start requires a healthy main battery among many other things. On my 2016 car it became very reluctant to work more than once. Replaced the battery during first lockdown and despite very few runs and only a short distance stop start working ok. It’s worth noting that if car is doing an exhaust regen the green lamp goes yellow till the regen is done.
I was quoted £250 from my Mercedes garage to replace my rear passenger door handle LED. Got the part for £13. Just looking out for a video now on how to replace it on a 2017 E class W213

My park prawl battery ie the auxiliary battery is being replaced under warranty as we speak. The message on the display is annoying. As is the start/stop not working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom