W205 fuel tank size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeJJ

Car
C-Class Sport Saloon w205
I just replaced my previous W205 C200 petrol with a same spec new one (different colour!). I was surprised to find that it ran out of fuel far earlier than my old car. I thought there was a fault with the fuel gauge. At the dealer the salesman was nonplussed but a service operative said that he had heard of a diesel C220 which had a 40l tank. My old car had a 66l tank and that is what I had expected. It appears that I have a 40l tank. My wife's Fiesta has a 44l tank!
I did a bit of research and discovered that cars destined for the German market had a 40l tank to get a lower score on emissions - apparently the weight of the car tested has to include a full fuel tank, which would add 20kg to the car if it were 66l. MB marketing assured the motoring press that all vehicles for the UK market would have 66l tank by default.
At first the salesman checked the build spec and apologised and booked me in to have the tank changed. But MB servicing now say that this chassis has a 40l tank, the 66l is an optional extra, and have refused to do the work under warranty. The salesman was apologetic but claims to be helpless.
My questions are:
Do you have a recent W205 and if so what size tank?
Do you think I have a case against MB for mis selling, I was never told about the change in spec or made aware by the salesman (in fact he didn't know)?

Yes - I hired a C class w205 in Germany. Had cause to check the size of the tank because the hire company (Sixt) tried to rip us off for complete refuelling even though we returned it full. They lost by the way!
Our car actually had the optional 66l tank but i believe the 40l is standard spec which I found surprising for a petrol car.
Can't really answer your question about liability of MB without knowing the facts. It really depends what spec of the car was that you agreed to buy.
Do you know what the cost of change would be as that might influence your decision as to whether it's worth pursuing.
Good luck with it

From autumn last year, to the end of production in May, the larger tank was a cost option. Same on the GLC 22/250

The FL C Class has gone back to the larger tank as standard now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I was unlucky as I ordered in autumn of last year so must have been one of the 'quietly introduced smaller tank. But I am very annoyed that the option was not brought to my attention by the salesman. I would gladly take the option as my main use is touring arou d Europe. In some places fuel is few and far between. Driving through Exramadura with "RANGE" flashing red at you may be exciting but it's bad on the nerves.
I think I will complain strongly and threaten litigation, but don't hold much hope

40L seems crazy small for a C, even with the slightly better fuel consumption over previous generations. I expect more are used as a very capable mile muncher than something to nip down to the shops in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom