W205 headlight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RTs4me

Car
c220cdi estate
Help! - Bad luck strikes again!

W205 estate 2019 AMG-line model, with LED headlamps. I've just suffered a stone piercing a hole in the headlamp lens cover. The light still works and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the LED components, just the perspex cover itself is damaged. Is the lens cover only available as a separate part? or is it a case of being a sealed unit which requires replacement in it's entirety? If so, is it a DIY prospect or will it require coding etc?

You really don't want water in there as it can take out the control unit which is fixed to bottom of the headlight. You have to take the bumpers off to change the light. Lens cover not available from Mercedes as a separate part. If you get the same part number headlight you can move the ECU across and no coding needed.
I'd stick some silicon sealant in the hole whilst you are waiting for a headlight !!

You could use some lens repair tape to prevent water getting in the light unit. As Richard points out you don't want any water in there, apart from the electrical issues you could end up with damage to the reflective lens coating.

Thanks for the replies.
As suggested, I've covered the hole (~1 cm diameter) with a couple of layers of clear waterproof tape. There is some moisture inside the lamp housing, slightly worse than the 'usual' condensation.
I'm getting estimates for replacement. The price is frightening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom