W205 max demist button creates vibration in steering wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uumode

MB Enthusiast
Car
C300 AMG Line Premium Plus
My W205
when the 'Max' demist button is pressed and fan on full whack, this appears to drive vibration through the steering wheel which I can feel similar to like when you run your tyres over subtle lane vibrations.

Initially I thought it was the lane assistance warning me to get into proper alignment.

I switch the 'Max' demist off and the vibration goes away... hmm

Yip, got that too. Not sure whether to put it into the dealer.

Must be the fact that the demister fan is located very close to the steering column on right hand drive vehicles, and when it is gunning it like dyson hand dryer speeds, it sends vibrations up the column!

Not saying it should do that, but by way of explanation, it's not the extra load on the electrics loading up the alternator and therefore putting the engine into an additional load to balance it all up, is it?

Just a suggestion!

Ernie

Well my other cars (non MB), E class which also had a 'max demist', when operating at full fan speed it didn't send vibrations through the steering wheel. But it did dim the headlights when all electrics going for gold.

Vibration is most noticeable with hands at 10 past 10 position on the wheel.
It's not so noticeable on max manual fan speed of 7, slightly noticeable on fan speed 6.

It could be the alternator going into superdrive I guess - as it is does feel more from the 'engine'...and the headlights don't dim which would be suggestive of the fact the current is being maintained.

Hi all
I have a 2015 w205 220cdi estate with 16,000 miles clocked up
And from the day I picked the car up I still have a slight wobble on the steering wheel at 65-70mph
Last week I replaced all four tyres and had them balanced and its still doing it
Even with everything in the car turned off
The wheels are perfect and no scuffs or flat spots
It's messing with my head now
No one has any ideas
Please help or I'll just sell it and drive my wife's golf
At this rate drives better
Please help

Interesting that when I was looking for a 205, one that I tried had a similar problem. The dealer said they would sort it out, before sale, but I declined their offer. I noticed, though, that it had one new tyre on one side and a half worn on t'other.

It didn't look to me like it had been prepared properly.

In any case, your car is still in warranty and should be sorted by dealer / seller.

Ernie

Last edited:
In the past I've had wheel balancing problems where the tyre fitter's balancing machine didn't work that effectively with wheel weights stuck on the inside rim.

Using somebody else with more sophisticated balancing machines solved the issue.

Also had problems with cheap rubber that wasn't that well distributed making it more difficult to balance but don't think you would be using budget tyres on a new W205

Once I had black circles deliver the wrong profile size tyre and the tyre fitters blinded fitted it! Again doesn't appear to be a factor in your description.

Most common problem for me is the accuracy of balancing.

Guess it is probably W205 suspension or maybe alloy wheel related.
Mine is rock steady at motorway speeds on both winter and summer alloys and tyres.

I have w205, steering wheel solid as a rock but sometimes I feel above a certain speed I have a vibration transmitted through the accelerator pedal which really irritates me, anyone else ever felt this??

Sent from my iPhone

I have w205, steering wheel solid as a rock but sometimes I feel above a certain speed I have a vibration transmitted through the accelerator pedal which really irritates me, anyone else ever felt this??

Sent from my iPhone

No Vibration from the accelerator pedal for me.

P.S. I have a petrol car and back to my original post, I tried my neighbour's C250 diesel and there is inherently a bit more vibration on idle. On normal idle I can already feel slight vibrations through his steering wheel, but not through mine really.

When MAX demist is put on, his also vibrates the wheel, but the step up in vibration is less for him as he has a diesel, for my petrol it is more noticeable from idle, but I think the vibration is the same.

Sent from my iPhone

I have the same problem at 70+mph with the accelerator pedal vibrating. MB Sheffield says it's within spec. The car has had 4 new conti tyres and 4 brand new MB OME alloys and it still does it.

I'm thinking it's the prop shaft that needs balancing..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom