W205 parking brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rayaans

Car
C200
Just a quick question really regarding the parking brake on a w205.

I understand they're electronic but mine doesn't appear to engage when I press Park on the stalk which is what I expect it to do

Is it a manual electronic parking brake? I.e. do I have to engage it everytime I'm parked up

No it should come on when you open the drivers door. For example if you are in d and open the door the vehicle will select park and apply the parking brake.

No it should come on when you open the drivers door. For example if you are in d and open the door the vehicle will select park and apply the parking brake.

Interesting. So even when put into Park on the stalk, it wont actually come on until the door is opened?

Ive not really noticed it coming on when the car door is open to be honest but Ill have to double check

deleted cos it was wrong!

Last edited:
The switch for it slightly lower down, below the light switch, close to your right knee.

Gearbox park position and parking brake are two different things. Gearbox park is a pawl within the gearbox. Parking brake is incorporated into the rear wheel brake calipers.

See this is what Im struggling with.

So when I park my car, I press the button on the stalk to put the car into park. I turn the car off, I take the seatbelt off. And then I open the door. At no point does the red PARK logo light up in the instrument cluster

If I park my car, press the button on the stalk to put the car into park, take the seatbelt off and then press the silver metal P button at knee level the red symbol lights up.

So Im not particularly sure what Im supposed to be doing!

My SL is the same, the handbrake doesn't automatically come on when in park and I open the door, I have to press the button.

My SL is the same, the handbrake doesn't automatically come on when in park and I open the door, I have to press the button.

It's a bit unusual that it's called an Auto handbrake when it doesn't automatically apply. I might ask the dealer see what they think

So when I park my car, I press the button on the stalk to put the car into park. I turn the car off, I take the seatbelt off. And then I open the door. At no point does the red PARK logo light up in the instrument cluster

If I park my car, press the button on the stalk to put the car into park, take the seatbelt off and then press the silver metal P button at knee level the red symbol lights up.

Not sure what year your car is, but my first 205 (early 2014) operated a bit differently from what my present one does and was more like what yours seems to be doing. I think the change came during 2015 or thereabouts. This might help to explain your problem.

Ernie

Not sure what the confusion is here. Put your car in park, then press the parking brake button, then switch off - job done?! As others have said, there are certain factors that would apply the brake automatically, but frankly I wouldn't rely on them - I like to ensure everything is secured before getting out....

I never use it...just put it in park and that's it....when I pull in my drive and switch the stalk from D to R...I then press the parking brake button to release it as it comes on automatically...if I don't press it and just reverse into my garage you can feel a jerk as it automatically releases...I release it manually to prevent this...

If I understand this correctly it is only called auto parking brake because it comes off automatically. It’s the same as the one in my sq5. Stays on until you put the car in drive and pull away. You still have to engage it when you stop or get out.

Not sure what year your car is, but my first 205 (early 2014) operated a bit differently from what my present one does and was more like what yours seems to be doing. I think the change came during 2015 or thereabouts. This might help to explain your problem.

Ernie
This might have something to do with it. Its a 64 plate, December 2014 car.

Not sure what the confusion is here. Put your car in park, then press the parking brake button, then switch off - job done?! As others have said, there are certain factors that would apply the brake automatically, but frankly I wouldn't rely on them - I like to ensure everything is secured before getting out....
I thought it was supposed to come on automatically when turning off the vehicle, or when opening the door. My Jag XE just put it on as soon as the car was put into Park.

I never use it...just put it in park and that's it....when I pull in my drive and switch the stalk from D to R...I then press the parking brake button to release it as it comes on automatically...if I don't press it and just reverse into my garage you can feel a jerk as it automatically releases...I release it manually to prevent this...
See this is different to mine. Mine doesnt come on at all, even if the door is opened or the car is parked. In other words, I never have to release it as it never engages unless I do it myself.
If I understand this correctly it is only called auto parking brake because it comes off automatically. It’s the same as the one in my sq5. Stays on until you put the car in drive and pull away. You still have to engage it when you stop or get out.
That makes more sense! So its an auto-off handbrake, not an automatic hand-brake as in other cars. Both Lexus in the family just do it automatically on and off. My previous Jag XE did the same so was a bit confused with it

Both.

Progress? I don't recall people getting confused about how to apply the lever-applied 'handbrakes'; yet another example of technology actually being more of a pain than the old system, must be getting old :).

Progress? I don't recall people getting confused about how to apply the lever-applied 'handbrakes'; yet another example of technology actually being more of a pain than the old system, must be getting old :).
The confusion with the 205 C Class arises because there was a change in its mode of operation early on; my 67 plate car has a number of upgrades, spec for spec, from my 64 plate and one of the changes is that the parking brake operates differently. The early ones didn't interlock with the doors as the newer ones do.

Of course, traditionally, Merc drivers didn't use the foot-operated parking brake relying on the 'Park' position of the gearbox, so this is all new!

Ernie

Well I don't own a W205 but my S has a electronic parking brake,it also has the P on the end of the right column stick,the electronic parking switch is below the lights control on my car and you pull it to put it on,no matter what car you have you should use this to park,because if you do not it will seize up,I know it is so much easier to just hit the P on the column all that does is put a prawl into the gearbox that stops the car moving,in my opinion this is not a good idea if parking on any hill,there is always a strain put on the box.

Of course, traditionally, Merc drivers didn't use the foot-operated parking brake relying on the 'Park' position of the gearbox, so this is all new!

Ernie
When did this become a tradition?

I have always used the parking brake.

I use the parking brake to park up; the rest of the time when driving I always press the foot brake to the floor to put the car in hold, which releases automatically when next the accelerator is pressed. So simple even I can remember👀😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom