W205 - Product Guide for MY16 UK ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All these packs are doing are ensuring MERC's used car forecourt is stocked with cars with decent options which in turn makes it easier to price a car v others and ensures customers get a set level of equip when looking at used cars rather than "odd builds" spec cars...

A good example of this is stuff like BMW E60 550i's, with Head up display, nice spec and then no xenon's which you would expect

So in short, makes it easier to sell a car with packs or offer low part ex values on cars with no packs.

Last edited:
Let's see if they still stop offering individual option in 18 months when the £40k car tax allowance kicks in.

Also, they need to be careful on their pack choices, forcing people to take say 18" wheels which then pushes emission bands into no go areas for hybrids or co car drivers is just getting the basics very wrong, or makings done have a £900 pano roof in a £3k pack is just silly, I have the pano roof on my X3, never been used.

They will drop the packs soon I'm sure, or put them into proper packs, lighting pack, technology pack, winter pack etc.
Why they think someone who wants xenons also wants comand or a sunroof is just bizarre.

Nothing wrong with packs, but offer the options individually too, even if at a premium.

Let's see if they still stop offering individual option in 18 months when the £40k car tax allowance kicks in.

Also, they need to be careful on their pack choices, forcing people to take say 18" wheels which then pushes emission bands into no go areas for hybrids or co car drivers is just getting the basics very wrong, or makings done have a £900 pano roof in a £3k pack is just silly, I have the pano roof on my X3, never been used.

They will drop the packs soon I'm sure, or put them into proper packs, lighting pack, technology pack, winter pack etc.
Why they think someone who wants xenons also wants comand or a sunroof is just bizarre.

Nothing wrong with packs, but offer the options individually too, even if at a premium.

I agree.. also.. you expect big bulk packs with cheaper cars so they can introduce different model specs so its simple to build, stock and sell, with a premium badge you expect that level of customising to build the right car for you.

Have to agree with the previous comments. In my case I was already pushing the boat out with the cost of my order so it was either buy the car without a £3300 package or don't buy it at all although I was willing to spend the extra £600 for the actual option I wanted.

Down the road at BMW their option list is staggering.

Excuse my spelling, grammar and odd words in the middle of a sentence earlier, I was posting on my phone.

Sorry that is a blinkered view imho, this is what the guys at Audi said when they started with packages, same with BMW, problem is the guy who prices up a car and sees it is getting too expensive because they need a £3000 package for a £500 option just doesn't go into the showroom.

The view I get from the majority of customers who find out about the packages is positive. I understand the issue and it does inconvenience some people who want one or two options, but it solves a much bigger problem. It's reducing build times, reducing part shortages, it's reducing overall costs and it's helping the used market too.

The view I get from the majority of customers who find out about the packages is positive. I understand the issue and it does inconvenience some people who want one or two options, but it solves a much bigger problem. It's reducing build times, reducing part shortages, it's reducing overall costs and it's helping the used market too.

I like the current packages i got with my W212. Saved me a small fortune over buying seperately. Admittedly i may not need everything and the AMG package was expensive in my opinion - but the equivalent in an Audi or BMW would've cost me far more. I agree with the convenience.

As I said, I get packages, I think for residuals it is great, what I don't get though is Mercedes UK packages. Who actually chose them?

Look at Mercedes.de, loads of 'Paketes' offering all sorts of combos, but they are combos that make sense, plus you still can order Ambient Lighting, Night-Paket or Burmeister Sound individually, yeah it may mean your build takes a little longer or that come resale it is not worth as much as the car with the Business-Paket or Business-Paket PLUS, but you have the choice, and if you only want ambient lighting at €261 it makes sense, who cares about extra residuals on that?

I don't want to come across as some argumentative **** (too late) but I have seen all this before, and it is the one thing the Americans really moan about on the US forums, where they have had packs for years, but then they save thousands compared with us.

I like the current packages i got with my W212. Saved me a small fortune over buying seperately. Admittedly i may not need everything and the AMG package was expensive in my opinion - but the equivalent in an Audi or BMW would've cost me far more. I agree with the convenience.

The 212 is quite nicely specced to start with at the moment, the basics like ambient lighting etc. is included, the problem is with the smaller cars, where if you want that it will cost you £3k as a pack, this pushes a 4cyl 250d to over £40,000.

But I'm sure Mercedes know what they are doing.

Will be interested to see what sort of standard spec and price the C450 estate is when it arrives.

I have just had a quote through on a the new BMW 340i M-Sport Touring.

It is as follows...

BMW 3-Series Estate TOURING 340i M Sport 5dr Step Auto
Harman/Kardon logic 7 surround sound system
Adaptive LED Headlights
Full black panel display
Heated front seats
Media pack - Professional - 3 Series Nav with RTTI, Enhanced Bluetooth, Media interface

Metallic - Melbourne red
Dakota leather - Oyster/dark Oyster
Fineline anthracite wood interior trim with pearl chrome finish

Black roof rails
Shadowline exterior Trim

18" M double spoke alloy wheels - style 441M in Ferric grey
Adaptive M Sports suspension

Road Fund Licence (12 months) £180.00
First Registration Fee £55.00

ON THE ROAD PRICE £33,928.80

Not bad for a car that gets to 60mph in 4.8 seconds and many are seeing close to 35mpg from. It is seriously tempting.

and don't forget their 5 year service deal for £475 on a standard 3 series. Makes me wonder why I ordered a C Class. Actually I just fell in love with its interior:bannana:

As I said, I get packages, I think for residuals it is great, what I don't get though is Mercedes UK packages. Who actually chose them?

Look at Mercedes.de, loads of 'Paketes' offering all sorts of combos, but they are combos that make sense, plus you still can order Ambient Lighting, Night-Paket or Burmeister Sound individually, yeah it may mean your build takes a little longer or that come resale it is not worth as much as the car with the Business-Paket or Business-Paket PLUS, but you have the choice, and if you only want ambient lighting at €261 it makes sense, who cares about extra residuals on that?

I don't want to come across as some argumentative **** (too late) but I have seen all this before, and it is the one thing the Americans really moan about on the US forums, where they have had packs for years, but then they save thousands compared with us.

Cant be longer than my 9 month wait........

I think its just the UK market are accepting and MB UK just think customers will go with it regardless.

and don't forget their 5 year service deal for £475 on a standard 3 series. Makes me wonder why I ordered a C Class. Actually I just fell in love with its interior:bannana:

Yeah I have that on our X3.

Mind you, the invoice for my 2 year service was only £305 anyway.

Oil and filter, brake fluid, cabin filters, coolant and new wipers. Not that I had to pay it, but still thought it was good value for what Merc would class as a B Service plus a couple of extras.

But I agree, the W205 interior is lovely and is what keeps me looking at them and the new GLC.

The facelift 3 series is nice enough, but still very BMW/utilitarian looking...
attachment.php

Was due to collect my new W205 C220 AMGline Premium Plus on Sat - was told today delivery has been delayed for 3 weeks :-( Oh well, good things come to those who wait - I guess :)

Oh no, did they give you a reason and why they are telling you so late? Makes me think that it has some sort of major fault or more likely bodywork damage that has been picked up at its pre-delivery inspection at the dealer. Any minor fault and they would have let it through for you to report yourself.

Last edited:
The facelift 3 series is nice enough, but still very BMW/utilitarian looking...
That was my issue together with the fact that the car, despite its updates, hasn't changed its appearance for years. With the new C Class you know you are getting a different car. Also with 3 series BMW's on every street corner all looking the same I wanted something that is a little rarer.

Last edited:
Look at Mercedes.de
I have also noticed that there is a great deal of variety on the cars standard spec and finish depending on what country the car is sold in. Even countries next door to each other get different specs. Does each country have its own committee deciding on the spec, options and packages or is it done centrally?

Yeah, different options, different packs and different base spec.

My guess is Mercedes are pandering to the fleet market, the contract hire firms, where having packs means both lower starting prices and better residuals. Or rather they can add a pack into the end residual rather than have to gobble the price of individual options over the hire period.
Which is great, however, Mercedes finance hasn't quite caught up to this yet, so until they do it will make the car seem more expensive.

As a follow up to the 340i price, I have just had figures back from Lombard to fun the car this morning.
I asked for various options, 5% deposit, 10% deposit, then over 36, 48 and 60 months and I asked for the highest balloon possible at the end of the agreement. Said I was doing 10k miles a year.

The best combo from all that, seems to be this one...

£34000
£3000 deposit
48 x £351.20
Balloon £19000

Would a 4 year old 340i sport touring with the right options get £19k in 4 years time?
Yeah I reckon so, an 11 plate E91 335i was up for £23k recently and sold in days.

When I got quotes on a C Estate 250d Prem Plus at £35k from Lombard the balloon was coming back at £14k after 48 months, which made it considerably more than the 340i.

So I think the packs can be good, but Mercedes need to set the residuals to match the added value they give at the end.

Bonecho said:
Oh no, did they give you a reason and why they are telling you so late?

Didn't make it onto the ferry it was supposed to be on and stuck in port is the reason I was given. The original collection date was 5th Sept. Due work reasons I couldn't collect before the 12th so it is delayed by a significant number of days.

Oh no, did they give you a reason and why they are telling you so late? Makes me think that it has some sort of major fault or more likely bodywork damage that has been picked up at its pre-delivery inspection at the dealer. Any minor fault and they would have let it through for you to report yourself.

Deliveries fall back, it's not unusual. They just don't get here when originally planned. I've had all my customers facelift A Class' drop back 3 weeks today :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom