W205 Rattle noise from sunroof when in the closed position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulsgaffe

Car
C220
Hi all

I have an pain in the **** issue with my W205!
A horrible annoying rattle noise from the sunroof when it’s in the closed position.
When the roof is in the tilt or fully open there is no noise. Which is great, I’d love that when the sunroof is fully closed.
Any suggestions on how to rectify this?
Many thanks in advance.
Paul

Sounds like the rubber sunroof seals need lubricating.

Hi all

A horrible annoying rattle noise from the sunroof when it’s in the closed position.
When the roof is in the tilt or fully open there is no noise. Which is great, I’d love that when the sunroof is fully closed.
Many thanks in advance.
Paul

Common issue on the W205 ...mine does the same. Some say it is the gears on the glasses case, others say panroof.

I've never pinned it down.

On my E Class coupe, the rattle is actually coming from the retractable sun blind (when it’s fully retracted). Moving it forward a few cms seems to cure it. I’m sure there must be a better way, though.....

Hi all

Many thanks in advance.
Paul
They are meant to be lubed at every B Service; this usually sorts the rattle.

Ernie

I have developed the same sort of rattle when roof closed. I have found that opening the roof and cleaning the rails helps. I also use Gummi pflege to lubricate the rubber seals. Last year as part of the service MB dealer lubricated the rails with a special grease. The lubrication got rid of the noise. A year and a bit on the noise has returned so I am going to clean all, lubricate the rubber and have ordered the special grease from a seller on EBay.
4815BD92-1653-42E5-879A-758D6F62B50E.jpg

Sorry all managed to add the picture several times and do not know how to edit the repeats out.
The person losing the grease has added a series of helpful pictures in his listing to show what needs to be done.
farmerboy

Is it included in the worldwide sunroof safety recall , it involved 750.000 cars , even my old 2006 C class. You might be inline for a new sunroof fitted free of charge :)

Mine made a racket.
I used a lot of silicone on the seals using a cloth and it's gone now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom