W205 rear tyres. AMG Line C220i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UrbanM

Car
C220d AMG LINE Premium Plus
Hi,

Just bought a 2015 C Class. The dealer has put new cheap tyres on the rear. I want to change them for something better. I was thinking of Continentals.

Any thoughts?

245 40 18s on the rear.

Hi,

Just bought a 2015 C Class. The dealer has put new cheap tyres on the rear. I want to change them for something better. I was thinking of Continentals.

Any thoughts?

245 40 18s on the rear.
I would match whatever is on the front personally. Alternatively go for whichever you can get the best deal on out of the big premium names: Continemtal, Michelin, or Pirelli. Mid-range brands can be very good too.

I have had excellent performance from Goodyear and Dunlop in the Assymentric range and Sport Maxx respectively.

Continental I have found to be noisy and Pirelli were poor in terms of grip although it is some years since I used them.What are your priorities? I tend to look for good wet weather performance, noise levels and then fuel efficiency ratings.

Goodyear and Dunlop as above rate highly in those areas. My E320 CDi has covered 28,000 miles on the Goodyears with 3mm of tread left

I would match whatever is on the front personally. Alternatively go for whichever you can get the best deal on out of the big premium names: Continemtal, Michelin, or Pirelli. Mid-range brands can be very good too.
Thanks. I have SOO1 Potenzas in the front. i would usually
I have had excellent performance from Goodyear and Dunlop in the Assymentric range and Sport Maxx respectively.

Continental I have found to be noisy and Pirelli were poor in terms of grip although it is some years since I used them.What are your priorities? I tend to look for good wet weather performance, noise levels and then fuel efficiency ratings.

Goodyear and Dunlop as above rate highly in those areas. My E320 CDi has covered 28,000 miles on the Goodyears with 3mm of tread left
Dont laugh. But I like a good tread pattern. Actually it’s handling in the wet that’s a priority for me. However the fronts which are Bridgestone Potenzas are almost new. So will probably match the tears with them. Can’t afford 4 new tyres!

I assume they will be no RFTs. The current tears are XL ones. Presumably I should go for XLs?

thanks.

I'd go for the same tyre as you have on the front axle.
The ones you have are not runflats.
I'd use Camskill and get your local tyrefitter to fit them for around £10 - 15 each.

Ive put Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 5's on the rear of my car. I do like them, no more wheelspin at all compared to the continentals and they're wearing much better. The continental contisport contact 5s I had wore out in 20k miles of mainly motorway driving which I find a bit odd.

So essentially my car has continentals on the front and goodyear on the back - reason being I want to put goodyears on the front when they wear out up front

Ive put Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 5's on the rear of my car. I do like them, no more wheelspin at all compared to the continentals and they're wearing much better. The continental contisport contact 5s I had wore out in 20k miles of mainly motorway driving which I find a bit odd.

So essentially my car has continentals on the front and goodyear on the back - reason being I want to put goodyears on the front when they wear out up front
It’s notoriously difficult to distinguish how much tyre performance is down to being new, and how much is the underlying design/specification. Placebo and time of year also muddy the water. One things for sure though, new car tyre days are exciting for car enthusiasts 👍🏻

Think you were unlucky with the Contisports. I've managed 25,000 on mine, with tread comfortably above the limit, but they've started to feather at the edges due to their age (5 years-ish).

I had Bridgstone Turanza on the W204, and the ride was very harsh. I recently bought several sets (for different cars) of Dunlop Sport BluResponse, and I like them a lot, though they are not available in 'exotic' sizes - in spite of the word 'Sport' in the name, it's a very balanced tyre with good performance, longevity, and also very quiet. I recommend it to anyone seeking a reasonably priced all-rounder summer tyre.

Check the rear wheels to see if they are staggered set up. My rears are 255 35 18 ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom