W205 reliability issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XRS

Car
C250 Sport Premium Estate
Any common issues arising?

I've had the door lights replaced and now the screen and all the controls on the central console have failed. Also the fuel filler cap motor failed early on.

Another issue that the service manager has acknowledged is a "jump" feel when on full lock, as if running over a largish stone. He put it down to tracking :rolleyes:

Anyone else?

Nothing serious. Sat Nav lost traffic info and key doesn't open/shut sunroof and windows.

Been a good car - now have 27k miles on it.

Water leak into boot; due to mis-fitted boot lid seal.

Collision Prevention Plus applied brakes hard in road works, fortunately didn't cause accident. Apparently due to electrical fault in braking system but noticed in Auto Express this week that somebody else had the same problem,

Ernie

Wouldn't say anything seriously wrong but a few annoyances.

Creaking coming from behind centre console that's worse in cold weather (so can pretty much forget about it for a few months now).

Sat Nav frequently thinking I'm on a different road and also getting confused between the shortest and fastest journey options (either that or it's terrible at maths).

The anti- collision system getting all excited when approaching bollards with reflective strips on them but not trying to cut in with the brakes just yet.

38k miles and overall pretty happy.

Windows creaking in warmer weather. Garmin sat nav was a real pain (voice gave wrong directions) but seems OK since software update a couple of months ago.

My w205 c250 estate

window switch failed, rattle from the tail gate, both fixed with no problems, superb car very pleased with it, does superb mpg compares to my 2012 w204

Just to add a couple of issues, my son bought a C220 Sport Premium from a main dealer. Very low mileage and just over a year old. On the test drive the engine warning light came on and they said they would fix it. Then we noticed the touch pad wasn't working. They replaced the oxygen sensor while we waited (I suspect it failed because the car had had so little use foe 2 or 3 months) and were making arrangements to have the touch pad replaced. However, when we came to drive home there was a Christmas tree of warning lights and the motor under the driver's seat that controls the steering feel had failed (or so we were told). I suspect this was because I had selected Sport + during the test drive and it had probably not been selected for a long time.
Arrangements were made to have the car delivered (a journey of over 500 miles) but it failed again on the way, so it was rejected.
Despite all this my son was not put off and now has a very nice C220 AMG Premium, but even that needed a new oxygen sensor!

RonFleet said:
Windows creaking in warmer weather. Garmin sat nav was a real pain (voice gave wrong directions) but seems OK since software update a couple of months ago.

If it helps it's not the windows creaking, it's the top edge rubber seal on the door moving against the body work. I've run a felt strip around the door jam and problem solved.

Attachments

• image-104998177.jpg
    image-104998177.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 57
- Paint orange peel.
- One tiny spec of dust in paint work (so tiny nothing to be concerned with)
- Doors don't close as nicely as when new (I'm being hyper critical)
...from inside it now has subtle undertones of a metallic clunk rather than a damped clunk
(Sounds like I'm describing a wine)

Almost 18 months in and so far only 1 issue. I kept getting an error saying that it was not possible to read the SD card for the navigation system. The Dealer tried a software update but the fault remained. On the first service they replaced the card reader unit and, so far, the fault has not returned. Long may it last.

Almost 18 months in and so far only 1 issue. I kept getting an error saying that it was not possible to read the SD card for the navigation system. The Dealer tried a software update but the fault remained. On the first service they replaced the card reader unit and, so far, the fault has not returned. Long may it last.
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that - my SD card reader had to be replaced about a month after I picked up the car from new. Same problem as como.

Last edited:
XRS said:
Any common issues arising? I've had the door lights replaced and now the screen and all the controls on the central console have failed. Also the fuel filler cap motor failed early on. Another issue that the service manager has acknowledged is a "jump" feel when on full lock, as if running over a largish stone. He put it down to tracking :rolleyes: Anyone else?

The noise from the steering on full lock is a problem which on my car was rectified with a modification. Don't know exactly what they did but it is known to MB service staff, or should be.

Did mine too last week with the anti vibration tape - job done, problem solved - happy bunny.

Well, we got the car back after two weeks and two new comand units, but it went wrong again when we were a long way from home. So it's back with the dealer while they scratch their heads and swap emails with Germany. Losing faith that it'll ever be reliable again.

Meanwhile running around in an A180d, which I can't wait to give back!

My c350e hybrid system failed. Completely undrivable and had to be towed away. Fix took 5 weeks. I saw in auto express the other week that the c class came 188th out of 200 cars with respect to reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom