W205 Short number plate plinth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KyleL1210

Car
C220D S205
I Have a S205 and I’ve been looking at getting a short number plate ( 435x110mm ) however I have since noticed that the front plate is on a number plate plinth which would be too long for my number plate. Is there anywhere that sells a shorter version of the plinth for this purpose or any diy guides to neatly modify the exsisting plinth

Attachments

• 9F1C7AFE-D95B-48DB-8693-CF651AAB47E1.jpeg
    9F1C7AFE-D95B-48DB-8693-CF651AAB47E1.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Cut it and plastic weld it, sand it down and paint with plastic bumper paint (available at Halfords).

What about the holes in the front bumper though?

Just get regular plates with the Reg in the middle...I'm quite happy with mine...Plus I think it would be illegal to have a short one

Just get regular plates with the Reg in the middle...I'm quite happy with mine...Plus I think it would be illegal to have a short one

Why would it be illegal?
There is no law regarding the size of the plate, only the size, font & spacing of the letters/numbers.

I thought they had to be a certain size...maybe I'm wrong....the cut and plastic weld sounds a good fix then

This is an excerpt from Wikipedia regarding UK number plates:

The industry standard size front number plate is 520 mm × 111 mm (20½" × 4⅜"). Rear plates are either the same size, or 285 mm × 203 mm (approx 11"x8") or 533 mm × 152 mm (approx 21"x6"). There is no specified legal size other than an absolute minimum margin of 11mm producing a minimum height of 101mm (one line) and 199mm (2 line) on cars, and 86mm for one line import vehicles and 164mm for a two line motorcycle or import vehicles, with the overall length being based on the registration number itself, with the smallest number plate possible being 1 having a minimum size of 36mm × 101mm on a car, or 32mm × 86mm on a motorcycle or import vehicle; whereas a 7 character registration number without a 1 or I having a minimum size of 460mm × 101mm (one line), or 255mm × 199mm (two line) on a car, or 231mm × 164mm on an import or motorbike.

The material of UK number plates must either comply with British Standard BS AU 145d,[5] which states BSI number plates must be marked on the plate with the BSI logo and the name and postcode of the manufacturer and the supplier of the plates.

HTH

In regards to plastic welding it , does anyone know of the holes are towards then centre and not on the part of the plinth that would be cut off ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom