W205 space saver wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby_Doo

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Macan S
Been offered a space saver for my C class , currently running factory fit 19" wheels. The space saver is 17" dia, will this be Ok or should I try and find an 18" version.

Last edited:
I don't think 15mm will make much difference on a space saver assuming you don't exceed the maximum permitted speed and distance.

A slightly deflated tyre will be out by as much, and still won't destroy your suspension overnight....

If your space saver has a very high profile tyre and you 19's have a very low profile tyre it might work. The ABS/ESP might flash up due to different wheel speeds but should be enough to get you home , do not fit to driven wheels (obviously). It might be worth bolting it on and having a short drive around the block just to check. Let us know how you get on. :thumb:

If your space saver has a very high profile tyre and you 19's have a very low profile tyre it might work. The ABS/ESP might flash up due to different wheel speeds but should be enough to get you home , do not fit to driven wheels (obviously). It might be worth bolting it on and having a short drive around the block just to check. Let us know how you get on. :thumb:
Sorry I edited my 1st post, o/all diameter is within the2.5% tolerance. Why can't I fit a space saver on the driven wheels ? :dk: my w205 is 4matic.
Also , having the AMG package the callipers look a bit on the large side, just wondering if this could be a problem.

I take it you already realise the spare wheel well in the boot is where the adblue tank is situated?

As for wheel diameter, my winter wheels are 17" & fit no problem.

Russ

I take it you already realise the spare wheel well in the boot is where the adblue tank is situated?

As for wheel diameter, my winter wheels are 17" & fit no problem.

Russ
Thanks for that, and yes, I do realize I'll have to lug it about in the boot, it's empty 99% of the time. I'm not sure about the ride on runflats and might decide to run normal tyres. Bonus about the space saver is I get a Jack and wheelbrace.:)

Thanks for that, and yes, I do realize I'll have to lug it about in the boot, it's empty 99% of the time. I'm not sure about the ride on runflats and might decide to run normal tyres. Bonus about the space saver is I get a Jack and wheelbrace.:)

I'm on 19" runflats too, I find them OK but mine has airmatic suspension.

Russ

The runflats aren't too bad, most of the time the ride's OK but it can get a bit jarry on bad surfaces. When I got the car the tyre pressure was about 300kpa but I've dropped it down to 250 kpa ( 2person +luggage as per fuel filler cap) and this has made the ride a bit more supple. Gave the throttle a bit of a prod today - bloody hell - 206 bhp and 500 Nm of torque - nice engine.

Sorry I edited my 1st post, o/all diameter is within the2.5% tolerance. Why can't I fit a space saver on the driven wheels ? :dk: my w205 is 4matic.
Also , having the AMG package the callipers look a bit on the large side, just wondering if this could be a problem.
Handbooks always say never fit to driven wheels and it always made me think what do people with all wheel drive cars do ?? :dk: Have a quick look in the handbook for us, I'm curious. Cheers :thumb:

The 19s with runflats are ok if you can live with the tyre wear, my tyres lasted about 8k miles and at a grand a set aren't cheap.

Haven't had much more than 8-9000 on a set of tyres for years , be they 18" or 19" , Continental or Goodyear.
Never done many motorway miles , mainly A and B roads.:(

Handbooks always say never fit to driven wheels and it always made me think what do people with all wheel drive cars do ?? :dk: Have a quick look in the handbook for us, I'm curious. Cheers :thumb:
Handbook doesn't mention a space saver wheel , only an inflatable emergency spare wheel , no mention of which axle to fit it to.

OP. You have no spare wheel, no where to put one, no jack , no wheel brace, no 'shortie' wheel bolts ,a car that comes fitted I assume (from new) with run flats and its 4 wheel drive. Also zero mention of spare wheel procedure in the handbook.
All of this suggests your car was never designed to run on a space saver...ever.
I have no doubt it would drive on a space saver but you could be opening a cam of worms insurance wise if you did. I realise what you are trying to achieve , I would probably do something similar if my car had no spare wheel. Good luck with it.:thumb:

The wheel was apparently a "genuine" MB space saver for W205 .It was 17" diameter whereas most space saver advertised for the W205 are 16" diameter.looking at the photos the Jack looked like an MB Jack , not the usual bright red aftermarket items. The seller did not list a part number so I wasn't too sure if it was the genuine article.
I was prepared to take a chance and buy it as I'd set myself a limit on what I was prepared to pay. If it didn't fit I could always try and re-sell it.
Take your point about insurance etching. A couple of phone calls to my insurance company and local MB dealer would have cleared up any potential problems.
I only saw the wheel about 36 hours before the end date so didn't have much time to check things out.
Sale ended yesterday and didn't win,so problem solved.

You can fit it to the driven wheels...it'd be daft if you couldn't. Just check a 17 will clear the brake calipers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom