w205 Spacesaver wheel bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stubax

Car
GLC250
Can anyone tell me if I need shorter wheel bolts when fitting the correct steel spacesaver wheel to my W205 Sport 220 Bluetech.

I would think so. I have a set of shorter bolts stored with the steel wheel for my W203.

Thought they had stopped supplying spacesavers with new models and that there wasn't anywhere to store one?

Had to buy a suitable spacesaver, as you say only place to store is in boot. Prefer this option to no spare at all

Thanks, not sure if different length as the same length of bolt for alloy and spacesaver was used on all 3 of my w204's.

Not all space savers need shorter bolts. My 2009 S211 had a set of shorter bolts stored with the spare, but my current 2005 S211 doesn't have any and doesn't need them.

Only 203s needed shorter bolts for the space saver; 204s didn't. The problem was with parking brake drums on the back brakes, if you used the standard bolts on a 203, they fouled the internal mechanism for the p/b and caused expensive damage.

The 205s don't have this mechanism due to the electronic p/b, so my advice would be to try your s/s on a rear wheel and also a front wheel with the standard bolts and if the wheels turn OK you don't need to buy long bolts. I wouldn't 'rump' them up hard initially, mind, just in case, but spin the wheel while tightening.

Would you mind posting the part no. for your 205 s/s and also the cost?

Ernie

Only 203s needed shorter bolts for the space saver; 204s didn't. The problem was with parking brake drums on the back brakes, if you used the standard bolts on a 203, they fouled the internal mechanism for the p/b and caused expensive damage.

The 205s don't have this mechanism due to the electronic p/b, so my advice would be to try your s/s on a rear wheel and also a front wheel with the standard bolts and if the wheels turn OK you don't need to buy long bolts. I wouldn't 'rump' them up hard initially, mind, just in case, but spin the wheel while tightening.

Would you mind posting the part no. for your 205 s/s and also the cost?

Ernie

Interesting. Does the 205 not have drum brakes then at the back for the parking brake?

Managed to buy a 'used unused' wheel of the correct specification from Mercman in Southampton for less than the cost of a new one. There are posts advising that the wheel & tyre costs £263, don't know if that includes VAT.

The w205 has discs all round.

Interesting. Does the 205 not have drum brakes then at the back for the parking brake?

No the 205s use an electric actuator on the calipers to operate the pistons for the parking brakes. Very much more effective than the old arrangement was, but has the drawback that you need Star or equivalent when the pads need changed.

Ernie

Can now confirm that the standard bolts are suitable, sun was shining so tried the spacesaver.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom