W205 start stop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonobigblind

Car
W205 C250 Bluetec
I've had my C250 Bluetec for a week now and clocked up just shy of 1,000 miles. Probably 50-66% of these on motorway or dual carriageway with some decent fuel economy to show for it.

My (perceived) issue is that the start stop hasn't kicked in since the morning of day 2. I always have the Amber symbol in the cluster regardless of how often I coast / sail down the road.

The W204 was forever kicking in and my Audi didn't have any trouble with it so I'm surprised to see an efficiency measure so reluctant to add its value here.

My only guess is it may not be recharging properly?

Any other issues or thoughts on it?

Ta

Mine (W212) just seems to work when it wants to and not when I'd expect it to do. There is a list of criteria to be met in the handbook, though even when all the boxes are ticked with this it can be erratic to say the least.

Don't worry too much and just enjoy the car. :)

I don't have my C Class yet so please let me off if I'm miles wide of the mark - I'm going from the manual as opposed to experience :)

When you say 'it doesn't kick in when you sail down the road'....

I believe the car is supposed to kick it out of gear when you're coasting but that's nothing to do with the yellow ECO symbol. For the engine to cut out you need to be stationary and according to the manual you need the following

General notes

The ECO start/stop function is operational and the ECO symbol is displayed in green in the multifunction display, if:
the indicator lamp in the ECO button is lit green
the outside temperature is within the range that is suitable for the system
the engine is at normal operating temperature
the set temperature for the vehicle interior has been reached
the battery is sufficiently charged
the system detects that the windscreen is not misted up when the air-conditioning system is switched on
the bonnet is closed
the driver's door is closed and the driver's seat belt is fastened
If not all conditions for automatic engine switch-off are fulfilled, the ECO symbol is shown in yellow.

Since collecting my C250 at the beginning of Sept, the stop/start has activated as I expected it to. This last week with lights on, heated seats on, climate set a couple of degrees higher the stop/start has not always shut down. As mentioned in another post, the system will not shut the engine down if interior temperature has not been reached or if there is excess current drain using ancillaries.

Cheers all, yes indeed just for clarity I meant the ability to recharge the 'start stop pot' when cruising down the motorway (there's a little charging indicator for the start stop function).

Ah well it's been tested over a range of driving types and doesn't seem to want to play ball.

Doesn't concern me as such, just seems daft to have the function and it not work for over 800 varied miles.

Ta
Jon :)

Hi,
I have had the W205 since last Monday and the ECO Start/Stop has worked as expected. No difference to the W204 I had previously. Just a thought but I think the Agility Control can play a part in when this function operates. Is it possible that there is a custom Agility setting being used that disables this function?
Cheers

Hi como and any other C205 Owners

Any chance of a write up on your impressions of your car ? I am very close to going for a C220BT Sport Auto with Prem Plus and there doesn't seem to be many owners writing about themn on here

Thanks

Any chance of a write up on your impressions of your car ? I am very close to going for a C220BT Sport Auto with Prem Plus and there doesn't seem to be many owners writing about themn on here

Thanks

Agreed. It would be useful/interesting. I dont take delivery until the new year but would be good to hear owners first impressions rather than the usual you tube reviews by journalists which whilst they seem positive are all very samey.

Our E class has now clocked up 2500 miles in the two months we've owned it. In that time the Eco light has turned green for probably less than 200 miles.

Three return trips for Surrey to Norwich it didn't turn green once.

Fuel consumption is poor as you can see from the signature below.

It's booked into the garage next Monday to see if there's an issue.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm only one week into driving the W205 but have to say I am very impressed with it so far. I had my W204 C220 AMG Sport Auto for two and a half years and loved every minute of it. However this feels like a very different car to drive. I went for a C220 Sport Auto this time so the engine and gearbox are similar. I'm already getting better fuel economy than previously, even though we are only just into the breaking in period. The car seems quieter at idle and on the move. Gear changes were always very smooth up and down the box on the W204 and I'm pleased to say that remains the same. It does sometimes seem to hang on to 2nd gear a little longer than I would expect, before changing up. However I am leaving the Agility Control in Comfort mode for now, so that may be having an impact. My model does not have the perforated brake discs of the previous one and I'm not sure if there is any difference in their sizes but the brakes feel very firm and positive, albeit they have not been used in anger yet - thankfully. One minor point, for me, is that the brake pedal is/feels higher than that in the W204. I'm 6' and once I adjust the seat for my preferred position on the accelerator pedal I seem to have to raise my leg up and back quite a distance to get on top of the brake pedal. I probably just need to spend more time getting everything adjusted properly. The interior of the car is a very pleasant place to be. My one hour commute is currently done both ways in total darkness and all of the instruments and switchgear are clear and easy to read. I didn't go for the Mood Lighting option, so you guys will be really spoilt! The reversing camera is excellent and produces really clear images. I do still tend to focus on the reversing sensor above the rear window but that’s just habit I think. The DAB radio is a nice addition and so far the reception has been consistently good. Another plus is the Bluetooth connectivity to my mobile. I have an Android (Nexus 5) device. Everything syncs nicely without issue. Also in areas on my commute where I used to experience black spots, I no longer do. So I’m assuming that something has changed for the better. I really like the 7” display. The image is very clear and defined. I do appreciate that it is a love or hate device but I already see it as part of the dash and not just stuck on top of it. It really makes the Garmin Sat Nav easy to read on a screen of that size. Speaking of which, the Garmin display seems logical and although different from the previous Becker unit, seems to do what it’s there for. Thankfully (from my OCD perspective ;-) ) the screen is not a touch unit but the centre console looks to be a real fingerprint magnet. With the gear selector gone you have acres of black shiny surface to deface. Easy to scratch too with a watch etc. The arms-length cotton gloves are on order ;-). Overall though I am absolutely delighted with the car and have no real negatives to speak of so far. Not having a spare wheel just feels wrong to me, it’s probably an age thing. And although a compressor and Tire (sic) Fit kit is provided, I really would not want to write off a tyre by using the kit without first understanding the nature of the puncture. It could get expensive. The other, new to me, system is the use of AdBlue. I clearly had not done enough research on the car, as when I opened the fuel flap and seen the additional filler it came as a surprise. I’m assuming (possibly wrongly) that it will be a service interval item but I do need to do some reading and bring myself up to speed. Having said that, I believe that the AdBlue helps facilitate the £20 p.a. vehicle tax duty for this car so happy days in that respect.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm only one week into driving the W205 but have to say I am very impressed with it so far. I had my W204 C220 AMG Sport Auto for two and a half years and loved every minute of it. However this feels like a very different car to drive. I went for a C220 Sport Auto this time so the engine and gearbox are similar. I'm already getting better fuel economy than previously, even though we are only just into the breaking in period. The car seems quieter at idle and on the move. Gear changes were always very smooth up and down the box on the W204 and I'm pleased to say that remains the same. It does sometimes seem to hang on to 2nd gear a little longer than I would expect, before changing up. However I am leaving the Agility Control in Comfort mode for now, so that may be having an impact. My model does not have the perforated brake discs of the previous one and I'm not sure if there is any difference in their sizes but the brakes feel very firm and positive, albeit they have not been used in anger yet - thankfully. One minor point, for me, is that the brake pedal is/feels higher than that in the W204. I'm 6' and once I adjust the seat for my preferred position on the accelerator pedal I seem to have to raise my leg up and back quite a distance to get on top of the brake pedal. I probably just need to spend more time getting everything adjusted properly. The interior of the car is a very pleasant place to be. My one hour commute is currently done both ways in total darkness and all of the instruments and switchgear are clear and easy to read. I didn't go for the Mood Lighting option, so you guys will be really spoilt! The reversing camera is excellent and produces really clear images. I do still tend to focus on the reversing sensor above the rear window but that’s just habit I think. The DAB radio is a nice addition and so far the reception has been consistently good. Another plus is the Bluetooth connectivity to my mobile. I have an Android (Nexus 5) device. Everything syncs nicely without issue. Also in areas on my commute where I used to experience black spots, I no longer do. So I’m assuming that something has changed for the better. I really like the 7” display. The image is very clear and defined. I do appreciate that it is a love or hate device but I already see it as part of the dash and not just stuck on top of it. It really makes the Garmin Sat Nav easy to read on a screen of that size. Speaking of which, the Garmin display seems logical and although different from the previous Becker unit, seems to do what it’s there for. Thankfully (from my OCD perspective ;-) ) the screen is not a touch unit but the centre console looks to be a real fingerprint magnet. With the gear selector gone you have acres of black shiny surface to deface. Easy to scratch too with a watch etc. The arms-length cotton gloves are on order ;-). Overall though I am absolutely delighted with the car and have no real negatives to speak of so far. Not having a spare wheel just feels wrong to me, it’s probably an age thing. And although a compressor and Tire (sic) Fit kit is provided, I really would not want to write off a tyre by using the kit without first understanding the nature of the puncture. It could get expensive. The other, new to me, system is the use of AdBlue. I clearly had not done enough research on the car, as when I opened the fuel flap and seen the additional filler it came as a surprise. I’m assuming (possibly wrongly) that it will be a service interval item but I do need to do some reading and bring myself up to speed. Having said that, I believe that the AdBlue helps facilitate the £20 p.a. vehicle tax duty for this car so happy days in that respect.

Some good info there cheers.

Here's some info I found on AdBlue:

You and AdBlue

Your vehicle’s AdBlue is topped up for free in its first year♦, after that the top up service is completed free of charge when AdBlue is purchased from your local Mercedes-Benz Retailer.

1. What is AdBlue and how does it work?

AdBlue is a solution composed of urea and demineralised water. It is non-toxic, colourless, odourless and non-flammable.

AdBlue is injected into the engine’s exhaust gases by the BlueTEC system and in the resulting chemical reaction, the nitrogen oxides in the exhaust are converted into harmless nitrogen and water vapour.

Mercedes-Benz BlueTEC technology enables diesel models to benefit from reduced emissions whilst maintaining performance in relation to power and torque output.

2. How often does AdBlue need to be topped up / replaced?

Your vehicle’s AdBlue tank will be topped up each time your vehicle is serviced at an Approved Mercedes-Benz Retailer. One litre of AdBlue is sufficient for approximately 625 miles of driving and the size of the AdBlue tank has been designed so that you should not have to refill AdBlue between services. However, AdBlue consumption may be higher depending on the type of driving, mileage and road conditions.

3. How will I know when it is time to top up?

When the AdBlue supply is down to approximately 3 litres, a display message reading ‘refill AdBlue’† will appear.

If the AdBlue tank is not topped up at this point – we recommend a minimum top up of at least 3 litres - the ‘Refill AdBlue No start in XXX miles’ message will appear. You will be able to drive the distance shown but you will subsequently be unable to start the engine.

If you are planning to take your vehicle outside Europe, we strongly recommend that your vehicle’s AdBlue level is checked at an Approved Mercedes-Benz Retailer.

4. What happens if AdBlue runs out?

If the AdBlue is not topped up and is allowed to run out, the message ‘Refill AdBlue Start not possible’ will appear, and the engine will not start. In order to resolve this issue, you must top up with at least 3 litres of AdBlue.

If a vehicle’s AdBlue tank runs empty and fails to start, customers with Roadside Assistance cover will receive a free 4 litre AdBlue top up at the roadside‡.

5. Where can I buy replacement AdBlue from?

Containers of AdBlue are available from your local Mercedes-Benz Retailer. The containers are simple and easy to use and are designed to fit exactly with your vehicle’s AdBlue tank filler cap. Full instructions on how to top up your AdBlue tank can be found in your car’s owner’s manual.

6. How do I refill the AdBlue tank?

AdBlue must only be poured into the vehicle’s separate AdBlue tank and must not be put into the diesel fuel tank. AdBlue must not be mixed with any additives or diluted with water.

In order to refill the AdBlue tank, your vehicle must be parked on a level surface in order to avoid fluctuations in capacity or overfilling which can cause damage to BlueTEC exhaust gas after treatment components.

Always remember to refill your AdBlue in a well-ventilated area.

7. Can I store a bottle that has been opened to use at a later date?

No. You should use the entire AdBlue product in the bottle at the one time. Empty bottles can be recycled. Once opened and exposed to air, AdBlue bottles with leftover AdBlue fluid cannot be stored as the purity of the fluid will be compromised.

como said:
Hi, I have had the W205 since last Monday and the ECO Start/Stop has worked as expected. No difference to the W204 I had previously. Just a thought but I think the Agility Control can play a part in when this function operates. Is it possible that there is a custom Agility setting being used that disables this function? Cheers
It's a good shout but probably 1300 of my 1500 miles now have been in Eco mode where it is definitely switched on.

It's just daft to see the yellow A on the instrument panel all the time so have now resorted to turning it off.

Red C220 said:
Our E class has now clocked up 2500 miles in the two months we've owned it. In that time the Eco light has turned green for probably less than 200 miles. Three return trips for Surrey to Norwich it didn't turn green once. Fuel consumption is poor as you can see from the signature below. It's booked into the garage next Monday to see if there's an issue.

Cheers for sharing. As I'm looking at this on the iPhone app I can't see your signature but doesn't hurt to get it checked out.

I've done 1500 miles in the ten days I've had it so far and I can't grumble about the consumption for a new engine. OBC is telling me c.51mpg from new and I've had it up to 62mpg on a steady trip to Southampton the other day.

MUGGY said:
Hi como and any other C205 Owners Any chance of a write up on your impressions of your car ? I am very close to going for a C220BT Sport Auto with Prem Plus and there doesn't seem to be many owners writing about themn on here Thanks

I posted some thoughts on my new car in another thread - apologies I can't link to it from this app. Worth checking out though as there are some positives and negatives from my point of view.

Having had a C220 W204 and now having the 250 I'd recommend looking at the more powerful option as it is a more refined ride with less need to work the engine as hard. It also comes with the auto box as standard so no need for the upgrade price you'd pay on the 220.

Cheers

Cheers for sharing. As I'm looking at this on the iPhone app I can't see your signature but doesn't hurt to get it checked out.

I've done 1500 miles in the ten days I've had it so far and I can't grumble about the consumption for a new engine. OBC is telling me c.51mpg from new and I've had it up to 62mpg on a steady trip to Southampton the other day.

I'm getting 36.6mpg average on our 2104 E220 Cdi Auto which isn't great. I'm struggling to hit 40mpg on 60-70mph motorway journeys.

The car has today been into Lookers Gatwick, they've plugged it in and as no errors are logged they can't and won't do anything.

They say the Stop/Start is operating fine despite the fact it simply doesn't go Green whilst I'm driving it, so I'm a bit stumped about that.

I also mentioned that the DAB radio reception is like listening to a skipping CD. They denied that Mercedes were aware of any issues with DAB on the E Class and there's nothing they can do until a bulletin is issued.

Looks Like I'll be trying Epsom Mercedes in the future.

Red C220 said:
I'm getting 36.6mpg average on our 2104 E220 Cdi Auto which isn't great. I'm struggling to hit 40mpg on 60-70mph motorway journeys.

The issues you mention shouldn't just be dismissed by the dealer like that. The fuel consumption seems low to me as well and I'm sure if they put it next to another model on the same run at the same time they'd see a difference.

I don't have the same DAB issues although it is definitely more patchy than the performance from a VW I had nearly four years ago.

I don't think a change of dealer would do any harm at all and hopefully they'll remember you're a customer and these things actually matter a great deal.

Fingers crossed you get it resolved sharpish.

ECO Start/Stop

Hi guys, had the same issue after using it a while I'm about to get into service to be checked again, I have a feeling it could be due to battery drain when was set at garage and haven't been used.

I have a Sept 2015 C220d estate AMG line with Premium Plus pack in Obsidian black. Fantastic car...fire away with any questions.

Are you keeping it clean James. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom