W205 wheel alignment excessive tyre wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abradders34

Car
C350e
Hello,

New to this forum and have a quick question that maybe you guys can help me with. I replaced the front set of tyres on my C350e last August as the nearside tyre was worn flat on the toe/outer rim. New tyres and 7000 miles later, same thing has happened... tyre worn in the same place. The rest of the tyre is absolutely fine.

I did have the wheels aligned but they, Bosch Service Centre, struggled to get the wheels aligned even with Hunter 4 wheel alignment. Mentioned something about control arms.

Tyres on the car are Hankook Ventus V12 evo 2. Stuck with those as they were on the car when I got it. Not sure which OEM tyres were on it when new however.

Anyone had similar experience?

Cheers

Andy

By default, the camber cannot be adjusted on these cars, if camber adjustment is required than you'll need to fit adjustable (fluted) bolts, perhaps the tyre centre didn't have these.

E.g.:

Screenshot-20210222-095602-Chrome.jpg

Of course, if there's an issue with any suspension component, e.g. worn hydro-bushes or excessive play etc, then the fault will need to be rectified before the wheel geometry can be adjusted.

Thanks very much for the very prompt advice on this. Tony Bones seems to be a popular guy on here.

When lockdown ends that seems like a good destination.

Any thoughts on the Hankook tyres at all? Wondering if they were fitted by previous owner on the cheep and not a great compound.

Thanks again all.

Hankook tyres were supplied from the factory on some C-Class and other models.

Also, in terms of brand image, Hankook are on the verge of climbing from 'Midrange' to 'Premium'... I believe that MB only fitted them to basic-spec models, and not to the sportier ones, though. But they have come-up well in some tyre tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom