W207 (E Coupe) Navigation advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darrellr

Car
M140 (68) / E300 Coupe (69) - coming soon
All,

I'm expecting to pick up a 'new' E350 Coupe on Friday. It is new in the sense it will be a 62 plate but to get the best price I selected a 'bog standard' car already built and sat in Killinghome. I actually got standard + metallic + leather.

From what I've read the Becker option is MY13 specific and therefore it will depend on whether my car was built before a certain date in june. From reading, I think it needs to show option 508 on the build list.

Can anyone confirm this? Also can anyone point me at a list of MY12 vs MY13 differences for the E-Class Coupe?

My take is that if my car is MY13 then I can:

1. Buy a Becker
2. Source an Audio 20 multichanger for iPhone integration + DAB possibility
3. Source a DAB tuner and add to the above.
4. Find someone to STAR code the DAB for me.

Correct?

However, if my car is MY12 then my only option would be:

1. Comand NTG 4/4.5 (?) retrofit followed by DAB - both require STAR coding
2. Navigation 20 ?

I think I can get any COMAND that comes from a C-Class (W204) or E-Class (W212) i.e. A 204 900 59 08 or A212 900 42 08

I've no idea what a Nav 20 unit is vs COMAND nor what part I'd be looking for.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Just had confirmation mine is an April build so what options do I have?

NTG4
NTG4.5
Nav20

Help please:confused:

Your options are the correct NTG4.5 for your vehicle, or retrofit Becker Map Pilot pre-wire and add Becker map pilot.

To fit DAB properly, you'll probably need a new boot carpet and some boxes that go under it, wiring, antenna amps, fibre etc.

Richard

Thanks Richard.

I was literally seconds away from ordering an NTG4 on eBay and your fan/video cable pack from comand online.

Does it absolutely have to be NTG4.5 for an April 2012 build W207? They cost more and I understand I'll need to buy a new license for the maps.

Also it looks like I'd need loads of STAR coding that will cost a fortune.

[edit] wow the 4.5s are way more expensive. The only one under a grand was for a W204 which I assume is no good

Last edited:
Ok, i've looked properly at EPCnet. Your car will be MY2012, and yes, you can have a MY2012 with COMAND (option 512 (dvd changer) or 527 (single disk)) without NTG4.5 (option 088) - I can't remember when in MY2012 NTG4.5 was introduced.

Part numbers officially valid for that include A212 900 46 12 (with DVD changer), and 212 900 72 08, 212 900 92 11, 212 900 45 12 (all single disk)

Your points about maps are true, you need some Star coding really in anycase, and it shouldn't cost a fortune. Last time I looked at W204 NTG4.5 it was only £599, so I suspect if the W212 one is a silly price its because there aren't enough on eBay at the moment.

If you can get to NTG4.5, I would.

Please check (and I can't remember the answer) whether a NTG4 in a W212/W207 does (a) phone book transfer and (b) 7 digit post-codes. (It does not it a W204)

R

Much appreciated Richard.

What makes you say go for an NTG 4.5 unit? I'm concerned that eBay ones will trigger an anti-theft block and be useless to me. I've not seen a write-up on the advantages of 4.5 over 4

Can you pm me the cost for you to code my installation whether it be ntg4 or ntg4.5?

[edit] apparently w212 got 7 digit post codes in 2010 according to a post from NPUK.

Last edited:
Right I've sourced an NTG 4.5 unit for £650 inc postage. It will be unit, screen, frame, code and GPS. No cable.

Aside from the cable, what do I need? Are the fans still required? How long will it take to code?

Deal for NTG unit fell through due to frame being LHD.

So will keep my eyes open for 'cheap' uk ones but my hopes aren't high.

Deal for NTG unit fell through due to frame being LHD.

If you are talking about the display surround, its easy to change - display is the same, frame changes for LHD/RHD. Its under £40 i think (in fact, you put the frame on after you screw the display in)

You need the fans if you dont have them. Many say don't bother, but you really really should.

R

Has anyone looked into retrofitting the Becker pre-wiring?

Richard I have nth 4,5 but need:

1. Video cable
2. Fans
3. Rhd fascia
4. Coding

Can you help? I assume you are comand online ?

Darrell
Yes, why don't you email comand online (from their website) and Alfie will help you. He'll need your VIN number.

I can't remember whether you need the video cable or not, but with VIN he can check

You'll possibly want the USB socket put in too if you don;t have that ..

R

Thanks Richard. I've emailed Alfie and take it from there.

I pick up car on Friday and Satnav should arrive same day so all seems to be good for now.

Wow Wow Wow!!!!

The price quoted was £200 for parts (fans, cable and ducting) plus £299 to fit and code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom