W207 / W212 E-Coupe - Front Wing Material?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johny5_uk

Car
E class
Messing with a magnet (that was covered in plastic) the other day and noticed the doors are indeed metal, but the magnet wouldn't stick to the front wings?
Anyone know what they are made of? When you tap them they seem metal(ish) although they can flex a little so I guess are very light.

I think the 211 had some aluminium panels, so possible the 212 does also?

It's all detailed here. e.g.
Mercedes-Benz's intelligent material concept also involves the specifically targeted use of aluminium and plastic, both of which help to save weight above all. Hence the front end, bonnet, front wings and boot lid of the new Coupé are made from aluminium, while the front end is a hybrid construction made from sheet aluminium and fibreglass-reinforced plastic. The front single-section aluminium crash boxes are inserted into the side members and bolted to them at the side. The other front-end components are likewise bolted together and can therefore be replaced cost-effectively following an accident. Glass fibre matting-reinforced plastic has been used to produce the spare-wheel well.

comprehensive in-depth article. 2010 Mercedes E-Class Coupe in Depth - Plus Video

So my expensive car is made from plastic and coke cans :p

Yeah, they found that recycled U-boats had a tendency to rust.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom