w208 3 button keyfob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crisc204

Car
w208 Coupe,
hello all,

well it had to happen after a year and a bit of MB ownership my clk has let me down. on a plus note i've done 350 miles this weekend and it waited untill i got home to play-up so im not swearing at it yet...on to my probs

the key will not turn. the steering does not unlock.

the dash milage and clock ect lights up when you put the key in
i thought that was good but it does the same if you push a pencil in the 'keyhole'

i used the search function on here and have tried the mobile phone camera trick pointing the key at the phone produced the blueish ir light on all three functions

the car locks, unlocks, and opens the boot from the keyfob it also works from a couple of car-lenghts away.

the car battery is ok as i connected another and it made no difference
(i thought it needed a jump start at first)

im going to get some new batteries for the remote anyway and have a general prod about under the column if it stops raining.

any more ideas for simple fix or any ideas on what may be wrong?

it would be nice if there was a fuse that only powered the steering lock but i doubt it!

anyhoo any helpful comments chaps?

cris

Mate, it sounds like the steering lock has gone up the swannee ...

Expensive .... :( circa £600 IIRC.

It equally could just be your key U/S as the steering lock release and your working key functions are separate.
Have you tried your spare key?

The IR key doesn't need batteries to work the steering lock. As others, try the spare key then go for lock unit.
Make sure the IR window is clean though on both key and lock.

thanks for info actually glad the ir and 'alarm' bit operate differently means it might just be the key.

no spare key, car only came with one. didnt get around to it.:(

can any MB star equipped workshop code a key for me?

cris

edit. more research on how it all works provided some answers and gave new questions

Last edited:
most likely the key not the switch... they do tend to just give up im afraid...

only a main dealer can get a new key... another key cannot be coded.. it has to come from the factory.

id order a key asap..

MB charged £193.88 for a new key. it wants to be very shiney for that price!

after all the fuss it was just the key,and to top it off a guy i know who prods electronics for a living fixed the original key in less than ten mins, merde!

Oh well now you have 2, and one is nice and shiny and chrome.:D

after all the fuss it was just the key,and to top it off a guy i know who prods electronics for a living fixed the original key in less than ten mins, merde!

Glad it was sorted

Out of curiosity, how was it fixed? :confused:

Glad it was sorted

Out of curiosity, how was it fixed? :confused:

sorry, i have no idea. he did explain it was a physical fault which he could see once he opened up the key.

however when i stopped by to collect it from his shop it was 17:45 sat and trying to make it to a dinner date with friends. once he suggested i could go in my shiney car with now working key i sort of stopped listening because i was suddendly quite happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom