W208 320 Is higher octane fuel safe/worthwhile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joyful

Car
W208 CLK 320 Avantgarde Cabriolet 2001
I have just bought a 2001 CLK 320 and really like it. Engine is nice and smooth and shows 25mpg around town and 29mpg on the open road.

Would Shell V-power be better for the engine and give any increase in performance and mpg.

The only way to tell is to try it out for a few tanks and make a note of the numbers. Mine is certainly louder after using VPower exclusively for over a year.

The only way to tell is to try it out for a few tanks and make a note of the numbers. Mine is certainly louder after using VPower exclusively for over a year.

Now "louder" was not exactly what I was looking for, but I will try the decibel tester.

higher octane does not offer increase in performance, this is a mistaken theory. it just has a higher possibility to prevent pre-detonation and engine knock. However it is best to use higher octane fuel in larger/stronger engines

I used it in a 2.8 V6 VW and it definitely gave more miles per tank when driven normally (comparing long motorway runs with different fuels). And the slight extra torque was clearly noticeable when towing our caravan - 6th gear became useable at motorway speeds, which it wasn't otherwise.

I use it all the time in the SL (which does low mileage), mostly for the cleaning additives though. There may be a power/torque/mileage benefit in that but no way of telling short of putting it on a dyno.

We used BP ultimate diesel (equivalent to shell v-power) for our E280 CDI V6, engine seemed more responsive and smoother on the first fill up!:)

not sure if that happens on petrol engines and how long it takes.. depends on how clean your injectors, pistons and valves etc.. are, if very dirty, it will take longer but much can't be expected in terms of smooth drive as pertrol engines are smooth already. higher grade fuel should be used definately if you wan't to take care of your engine. I personally think it does a better job than fuel additives that are poured into the tank.

High octane dose work but only in engines that can adjust to use it. In my 90's turbo I have a switch that changes timing. On tests turbo cars did make the most of the high octane fuels. So like a lot of people have posted try it and see.

Now "louder" was not exactly what I was looking for, but I will try the decibel tester.
10 years of carbon deposits being cleared out has made it louder. I ran some VPower through my other half's focus and it did the same thing - she said it makes more "boy noises" now ;)

Even if it just cleans and lubricates the engine a bit more than normal fuel it has to be a benefit.

A while ago I ran both my Corvette and BMW 540i on Vpower for a few tanks and personally the only diffference I noticed was the cost! MPG exactly the same, couldn't tell any driving improvement on either.

Safe: Yes

Worthwhile: If you feel it warrants the extra pump price

I use only V-Power in both of our cars

higher octane does not offer increase in performance, this is a mistaken theory. it just has a higher possibility to prevent pre-detonation and engine knock. However it is best to use higher octane fuel in larger/stronger engines

if you get less knock you can advance timing therefore make more power though.

Your car has to have be mapped for 2 fuels with knock sensors so it can tell what fuel you are using or be made to run to run on super. You can do damage if you have to run it on super and you don't:thumb:.

if you get less knock you can advance timing therefore make more power though.

Your car has to have be mapped for 2 fuels with knock sensors so it can tell what fuel you are using or be made to run to run on super. You can do damage if you have to run it on super and you don't:thumb:.

1st thing: power is not increased because of avoiding knocking, the engine runs just as how it is supposed to be.

2nd thing: never heard of remapping and such things for fuel usage! but it's just silly to put high octane fuel in a low compression engine, no sense as it has nothing to do with performance but to avoid pre detonation in high compression engines!

1st thing: power is not increased because of avoiding knocking, the engine runs just as how it is supposed to be.

2nd thing: never heard of remapping and such things for fuel usage! but it's just silly to put high octane fuel in a low compression engine, no sense as it has nothing to do with performance but to avoid pre detonation in high compression engines!

Thats not really right though can i ask how you know that? other car LOSE power as its made to run on 100/99ron fuel. The engine senses there is knock happening with a lower octane fuel and retards timing. Alternatively when you put a high octane fuel in it sense this and advances timing.

Also if you read my post you would see that I said higOher octane reduces knock so timing can be advances so more power.

Low compression or not if the engine is clever enough to change its behaviour when super unleaded is used you get more power. Sometimes not much. A lot of people when getting their car custom remapped fill with the fuel that they use the most. With petrol heads that's usually 99ron. In an old 1.1 probably no point but a newer clever engine it might run better.

stop posting and re-posting over the same subject again and again misleading people who read this. High compression engines require higher octane fuel to run properly, that's NOT hp increase for God's sake! It's just the engine running NORMALLY. As far as small engines are concerned, there's really no need to use high octane fuel as it is not required and u keep ur wallet filled! It's as simple as that.

If you are running a stressed high performance motor like my Scooby and a lot of Jap high revving performance stuff that is designed to run on higher RON fuels then yes you will get the benefit from it as the management systems can adapt to the higher quality fuel. Switch to running these cars on 95 RON and you certainly notice the performance drop.

Other than that the only benefit comes from the detergent packages, so is it worth 7p per litre extra when you could use normal fuel and Millers additive to do the same job for a fraction of the price.

Horses for courses I guess :dk:

Hi Ian

Do not pretty much all modern cars ECU adapt to the RON on offer ?

The cars are on sale everywhere from Japan ( with high RON fuels ) to Africa ( with low RON fuels ) ... so surely the ECU's have to be able to adapt as neccesary to still produce the manufacturers specfied power claims ?

Hi Ian

The cars are on sale everywhere from Japan ( with high RON fuels ) to Africa ( with low RON fuels ) ... so surely the ECU's have to be able to adapt as neccesary to still produce the manufacturers specfied power claims ?

A complicated answer but off to the curry GTG now, will come back on this one tomorrow, but yes basically you are correct

Hi Ian

ECUs do adapt to the fuel's Octane rating (within limits), that's why cars have knock sensors among other things.

Premium fuels however have detergents that are good for the intake, injectors, valves, and top part of the engine. Nothing you can't achive with some Redex or Forte, mind...

Said that - Premium fuels are better for your engine - no doubt in my mind - though whether they are actually worth the extra cost is something each driver will have to decide for himself.

I use only V-Power - always have done with the Merc. Other may choose differently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom