W208 Aircon moisture and a bit smelly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi,

1999 CLK W208 facelift with climate control aircon.

The aircon had a full service including changing the A/C condensor, and a full re-gas etc. I don't use the car regularly - maybe once a fortnight and even then not for long runs.

When i start up the car and the aircon starts I often get an initial dump of moisture from the vents enough to mist a little bit of the windows. After a 5 minutes the aircon will have sorted this out, and the air will not have excess moisture. There is often an odd whiff at the beginning as well.

I've had a search but not been able to find a solution, except that it might be crub under the car blocking the aircon drain pipe - however, I've no idea if on a W208 that would be the case and where the drain pipe is.

Thanks for the help.
R

The moisture is fairly normal. My C43 does it.

Use some AC anti-bacterial spray right on the evaporator by removing the dust filter. This will help reduce the smell.

Oh, and the pollen filter was replaced this time last year.

The moisture is fairly normal. My C43 does it.

Use some AC anti-bacterial spray right on the evaporator by removing the dust filter. This will help reduce the smell.

Thanks Olly.

Sorry to be a pain, but do you mind explaining where all those bits and pieces are - i.e. the dust filter and the evaporator.

Dust filter is under the passenger footwell and with the filter out the evap is exposed.

Hi rossyl,

I recently experienced the same thing in my CLK. There is a drain pipe at the back of the engine bay on the passenger side. When I checked my car I found the end of the pipe was blocked. Poking a finger in released a flood of water and I've had no problems since. Good luck.

You should get a puddle of water under the car while the aircon is working. Hotter/more humid the weather, the more water.
If this isn't happening, I would suspect a blocked drain.

Hi rossyl,

I recently experienced the same thing in my CLK. There is a drain pipe at the back of the engine bay on the passenger side. When I checked my car I found the end of the pipe was blocked. Poking a finger in released a flood of water and I've had no problems since. Good luck.

Any more details would be appreciated.

Is it under the car? So would a jet spray under the car help? Or, is it accessible via the bonnet.

Or, as Olly said, all could be fine...but i don't mind having a little look.

Many thanks all.

Any more details would be appreciated.

Is it under the car? So would a jet spray under the car help? Or, is it accessible via the bonnet.

Or, as Olly said, all could be fine...but i don't mind having a little look.

Many thanks all.

The drain I described is not under the car, lift the bonnet and look at the very back on the left side. It's an area which also accumilates leaves. The pipe may have a rubber flap on the end as mine does.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom