W208 AMG front bumper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stray Cat

Car
CLK 320 W208
I've got a 1999 W208 clk320 AMG. It's been lowered and the front bumper was previously damaged when I got it. Now I've managed to split the bumper in my works yard and although I've done a temporary repair it's going to need a new front bumper before long. Thing is I'm getting a bit confused as to what will actually fit it; AMG bumpers are as rare as rocking horse sh*t! First thing I thought of was an E class bumper (W210) but I've been told it's a completely different front end. Looks identical to me!
Now I need to know if a 1997-99 W208 front end is any different from a 1999-2002 W208 front end?
And will a non-AMG W208 (1997-99 or 1999-2002) physically fit mine?
Mine also has the washer system and parking sensors.
Every MB part dealer or seller gives me a different answer! Very annoying!
I really don't mind downgrading to a non-AMG bumper as I'm sure I'll have the same problems with another AMG low front end!
Any help much appreciated guys. I have posted this thread before but can't believe I didn't get one reply!

Hi,

A 210 front bumper definitely won’t fit, it’s a totally different car (E-class) versus your CLK which is actually based on a W202 C-class funny enough! The lights and bumpers are completely different though, you’ll need a 208 bumper for sure.

Funny enough, I know exactly what you mean about the front bumper. The lower apron tends to ‘sag’ in the middle. I had a CLK55 with the same AMG bumper and it had been smart repaired before I bought it - I remember it catching on a driveway as I reversed out where it was hanging too low and had to have it properly repaired/repainted. Cost me about £400 ten years ago I think but a new AMG bumper was four figures plus painting and to find second hand (undamaged!) was impossible. Once repaired it was as good as new and never sagged/drooped in middle again.

You’re probably going to be better off taking your existing one off and having it repaired. You might be able to use a non-AMG bumper on the front but it would look a bit silly with the rest of the body kit?

I can’t say for certain but I think the AMG bumper that you have will be the same as on the facelift, as the CLK55 that it is based upon only came as a facelift car :thumb:

Best of luck,

Will

Is yours an AMG? I thought only the C32 was a 320 AMG?

It’s not an AMG but it has an AMG body kit.

Regards the terms and badging, it’s difficult to judge now that even MB are guilty of this - all these ‘AMG lines’ and AMG wheels on everything they sell from A-class upwards! :)

Hi,

A 210 front bumper definitely won’t fit, it’s a totally different car (E-class) versus your CLK which is actually based on a W202 C-class funny enough! The lights and bumpers are completely different though, you’ll need a 208 bumper for sure.

Funny enough, I know exactly what you mean about the front bumper. The lower apron tends to ‘sag’ in the middle. I had a CLK55 with the same AMG bumper and it had been smart repaired before I bought it - I remember it catching on a driveway as I reversed out where it was hanging too low and had to have it properly repaired/repainted. Cost me about £400 ten years ago I think but a new AMG bumper was four figures plus painting and to find second hand (undamaged!) was impossible. Once repaired it was as good as new and never sagged/drooped in middle again.

You’re probably going to be better off taking your existing one off and having it repaired. You might be able to use a non-AMG bumper on the front but it would look a bit silly with the rest of the body kit?

I can’t say for certain but I think the AMG bumper that you have will be the same as on the facelift, as the CLK55 that it is based upon only came as a facelift car :thumb:

Best of luck,

Will
Thanks Will, you've actually been a great help. I was looking for a used bumper and have seen an AMG (bodykit!) version on ebay in better condition than mine currently is; just needs a little filling in the scratches, sanding and a respray. The Polish fibreglass imports are not desireable as they don't even have the fitting holes drilled out! How do they actually repair these things as yours was? Is it plastic welding or similar?

Although your car is a preface lift a facelift non amg bumper will fit straight on and are generally cheap as chips and won't look "too" out of place. Although better a amg bumper will cost shed loads. It's not unknown to have to buy a whole scrap car just to get the bumper !!!! I very nearly bought a whole car to get the bumper insert for mine !!! Annoyingly there is a amg kitted 208 in my local scrappy but the front bumper is fooked.

Although your car is a preface lift a facelift non amg bumper will fit straight on and are generally cheap as chips and won't look "too" out of place. Although better a amg bumper will cost shed loads. It's not unknown to have to buy a whole scrap car just to get the bumper !!!! I very nearly bought a whole car to get the bumper insert for mine !!! Annoyingly there is a amg kitted 208 in my local scrappy but the front bumper is fooked.

The bodyshop guy I used did all the repairs and prep/painting, can’t remember now he may have even used fibreglass on the underside or similar for additional reinforcement - all I can say is it looked perfect once done and was at least as strong as original (seeing how many of these 208 AMG bumpers are damaged/split will attest to that!) :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom