W208 Audio head unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimhardie

Car
2000 CLK320 Cabriolet - Black
Hi guys.

I got into my W208 CLK320 last night and the CD changer decided to misbehave. It wouldn't recognise when I'd put the 6-disc carriage into the changer, and wouldn't pick up any of my CDs.
I'd been thinking about swapping out my Audio 10 unit anyway for a more modern head unit with iPhone/iPod Bluetooth etc compatibility, so this just kinda forced the issue for me.

I've been looking at one of these units

Pioneer MVH-8300BT - Video

Has anyone had any experience with them? It's mechless which means that there's no CD slot, but I can run music from SD cards or my iPod or iPhone via the USB connector on the front.

My Audio 10 has ISO's on the back so thats fine. I dont have Bose so no worries there. I may look at taking the RCA's to amps one day and driving new speakers and a sub, but I'll use the stock speakers for now.

Looking through the manual, it also mentions that I'd need to connect to the parking brake switch?? Whats this for? I've never heard of this before. (I'm a broadcast engineer so I know a bout electronics etc, but I'm not up on car audio)
I would assume that whilst the unit is only single DIN it will play videos from the iPod or SD card, this switch disbales the video whilst the car is not in park??

I know I'll need to pick up a switched 12V from the cigarette lighter, but I also know I could use a CAN BUS adapter to generate one.
Would this be the right sort of thing?

Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers

I'm not too familiar with CANBUS in cars.
I was also looking around to see if I could find something which would give me back the steering wheel controls (also a CANBUS adapter) but I couldnt find anything specific to my model of car. Anyone got any ideas if this is possible? I'm not desperate as I can drive the audio from the head unit anyway, it might just be a nice little finishing touch.
I know I wont get any display on the instrument panel but that's fine.

Anyone got any suggestions or feedback?
Best regards

Jim

Looking through the manual, it also mentions that I'd need to connect to the parking brake switch?? Whats this for? I've never heard of this before. (I'm a broadcast engineer so I know a bout electronics etc, but I'm not up on car audio)

Yes! so you can't watch video in motion :)

Last edited:
Thanks Ted.
Is this feed an easy feed to pick up from behind where the head unit is?

Cheers
Jim

Hi all. Just to finish this off. I went for an Alpine CDE 126BT.

Works like a charm straight out of the box. iPhone 4 connects up on bluetooth first time everytime, and iPod/i{hone audio controls are dead easy.
Good improvement in sound quality using stock speakers too, although I will (at some point) upgrade speakers.

Well chuffed.

Jim

good stuff you normally cant go wrong with an alpine unit :bannana::bannana:

Hi all. Just to finish this off. I went for an Alpine CDE 126BT.

Works like a charm straight out of the box. iPhone 4 connects up on bluetooth first time everytime, and iPod/i{hone audio controls are dead easy.
Good improvement in sound quality using stock speakers too, although I will (at some point) upgrade speakers.

Well chuffed.

Jim

Hey Jim.
What about the volume controls on steering wheel? still working?
I have just replaced all the speakers in my CLK230 2002. Now I am after the head unit... I have the original CD (20 I think) and 6 CD changer on the back. Would the Alpine CDE 126BT also control the changer or I'll have to say goodbye?...
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom