W208 boot lock - which way does key turn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lenny63

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS 55 AMG | S211 E280 Cdi Sport
Hi

I have a seized boot lock - surprise surprise

It's currently in the "lock" position (vertical)

Does it turn left or right to open ?

I'm using tons of penetrating spray and leaving boot open and wiggling the blade key with pliers - it's not budging

It feels like the lock is wobbling quite. A bit in it's barrel as I'm able to wobble both directions to about 45 degrees - should it feel like this !?

Definitely clockwise just keep goin with the spray it will work eventually and yes lock does feel loose mine is the same

Anti-clockwise to about 11 o'clock then push inwards while key is still at 11 o'clock.

Key slot can also turn to the horizontal position for valet locking.

Dec

Last edited:
Got it turning - anti clock wise indeed it is

Thanks pal

That's strange my pre face lift is definitely clockwise to about 1 o clock ???

Will it also turn to the horizontal, 3 o'clock position, for valet locking?

Dec

AYsvP0d.jpg

Mine does but I'm now starting to wonder if someone has messed with mine as unlocking is definitely 1 o clock position

Yes I can get valet position as well - it's slightly stickier than normal lock/unlock as thje penetrating fluid is still working but ill continue to preserver

what would everyone recommend to oil the lock itself to prevent this happening?

alternatively, as long as i oil it from time to time, freeing it up as I've done should be enough )I've used a 250ml can of WD40 and half of a 400ml can of 3-IN-1 Penetrating fluid so far

If you treat the lock with WD40 twice a year as illustrated below, you will have no problems with the metal parts of the lock mechanism seizing up, that’s what I have been doing for years with no problems.

Its not a lubrication issue, the lock barrel and its mechanism don’t move from one end of the year to the other, it’s the need to keep out moisture, in the form of condensation, so as to keep corrosion at bay. Sticking plastic plugs in the key hole slots won’t stop corrosion, only regular treatment with WD40 will do the job.

attachment.php

Regarding the lock being sticky, when turning to the horizontal position, it’s not the lock barrel or the metal parts of the mechanism that’s causing the problem, it is the white part with the Red arrows in the picture below, that’s what is sticking.

When the key is turned to the horizontal position, this white “bar” moves to the right and blocks the vacuum actuator from opening/unlocking the boot. So this is what you would need to grease to remove the stickiness.
Mine is sticky a little too but am too lazy to do anything about it.

Dec
attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom