w208 clk 320 starting issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbvector

Car
1997 clk 320 sport
Hi,

Just got this car 1997 clk 320 recently and have noticed occasionally it does not start properly. It turns over and seems to fire for an instant and then just dies... its kind of like an immobilizer is cutting it out. This morning i had to start it about 4 times before it would run. When running it is great and no issues/warning lights. It seems to be intermittent.. i charged the battery incase it was that. Once it stalled when running (in maybe 60 miles since having) coming up to set of lights.. i noticed the bas/asr light come on just before it stalled... when i went to start it that time the dials went crazy and wouldnt turn over at all (might of been low battery - this was before i charged it) Anybody any ideas what is causing it to cut out like that on start up ? as i say its like its started for an instant and then cut out.. maybe bad fuel pump or something ? I was reading some guy saying about a relay but no idea what one they were talking about ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,had similar prob with clk 320,spun over no start,but would start on second spin, turned out to be fuel filter,may help if symptoms are the same.

Hi,

Thanks for info. This car had been left unused for a year.. i wonder is fuel filter clogged ? This morning it started for a few seconds then engine died... it does seem like its not getting fuel or immobilzer is killing engine just after it starts.. On second start it was ok and runs great.

Well put a new fuel filter (needed one anyway) on it and still the same ....stalling shortly after coming up to a stop at traffic lights/junctions. I was thinking theres possibly something controlling idling speed and it just goes to low and stalls ? anybody any other ideas what would cause stalling and difficulty starting (have to turn it maybe three times) It doesnt do these things all the time and is intermittent. Any ideas?

Is it not the crank position sensor/camshaft sensor?

Controls what you have described and is also more likely if you find the stalling more frequent as the current temperature increases. E.g. Cold morning start is fine, start driving, engine warms to operating temp, you have to stop at a red light, then you cut out.

Thanks for the help. What are the bits/sockets called to remove the screw for camshaft sensor ? Infact all bolts on engine are all them weird star shaped nut things ? :) What are they called ?

It probably needs the ring gear and starter lubricating.

It starts most of the time fine.. it seems to be more an issue of stalling at lights/junctions with a hint of not starting as well.:doh: The times its died when starting seems more like its running for a split second and something electrical stalls it after its running.

Last edited:
Cps is a poss too.

Sounds like you need to try a ring gear lubrication. The clk320 was recalled to have this job done by the dealer back in 2002 ish.

I took out the camshaft sensor and it looked like hell. It was covered in a serious amount of junk and I cleaned it up. Its been fine last three times driving car so hopefully that might be it. Will update if its not :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom