W208 CLK 55AMG: fuel tank removal, corroded petrol & brake pipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fergusond

Car
W08 CLK55AMG, Porsche 993 Carrera 4 & 91 Audi Quattro
My 2000 CLK55 AMG failed its MOT today, the tester said a petrol pipe above the diff was badly corroded and leaking, The garage said that to replace would probably involve removal of the fuel tank, exhaust, rear diff & rear sub-frame. They were not interested in doing the work due to the amount of rusty bolts underneath the car. They also said the petrol & brake pipes under the drivers side of the car heading to above the petrol tank could do with replacing as they are corroded.

Looks like I'll have to tackle the work myself, anyone have any pointers or advice to dropping the tank to start with.

thanks

David

tank connection

Hi check tank conection this is a recall and is free at mb dealer :bannana::bannana:

fuel pump/tank

There is a recall on pipework and pump connection to tank check tec advises or contact mb dealer DO not pay indi to do work when mb do it no charge:bannana::bannana::bannana:

thanks for the info, I'll jack the car up at the weekend and identify the pipe, the MOT tester has implied its a badly corroded metal pipe above the tank & rear diff, so it could be pipework from the tank to the pump.

Assuming you didnt buy the car from MB brand new and bought it private, would MB still cover this job??

humm?

Assuming you didnt buy the car from MB brand new and bought it private, would MB still cover this job??
Yes, run the VIN past them to see if it was part of the original recall scope and if it's already been done.

my local Merc dealer says theres no issues on my VIN number, and they have never heard of any corrisiosn issues on any model fuel lines except for some A Class problems

I had a fuel leak recently but it was from one of the pipes accessible from behind the drivers side wheel. I really wouldnt fancy doing the job you are talking about. Is there no way you could cut the section out and put in a replacement piece of pipe held in either side by rubber hose? You can easily source the correct grade rubber hose if you look around for it.

recall

my local Merc dealer says theres no issues on my VIN number, and they have never heard of any corrisiosn issues on any model fuel lines except for some A Class problems
Just had mine done on recall no charge def a recall on e55s

I had a fuel leak recently but it was from one of the pipes accessible from behind the drivers side wheel. I really wouldnt fancy doing the job you are talking about. Is there no way you could cut the section out and put in a replacement piece of pipe held in either side by rubber hose? You can easily source the correct grade rubber hose if you look around for it.

not sure if that's an legitimate solution acceptable to the MOT tester, would probably question the method used to clip the rubber hose to the chassis etc. Yes its looks a nightmare to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom