W208 CLK ashtray replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bennal

Car
W208 CLK55 AMG, W208 CLK320 (being sold)
I did post this in the Interior section but I think it's more applicable here due to it being about wiring/lighting.

I've bought a replacement for my ashtray; the seller listed it as an 'oddments tray' but the part box states 'parcel rack' (part no A2088100441). I suspect this is what Mercedes fitted on CLKs when the buyer chose the 'delete ashtray' spec option. It's essentially a small lined cubby hole, with a 12v socket on the right and a light at the back.

I've removed my existing ashtray and the new one will just pop in, but there's a problem. The old ashtray had a dual purpose connector containing a pair of connectors for the 12v output, and another single connector for the bulb. The new tray doesn't have any illumination around the 12v socket, but has an LED light instead. Unfortunately there is no wiring in the dash for the additional light. The new light uses the same small black block type connector that's used on the LED light in the main storage compartment of the center console (image included).

Has anyone got any experience of fitting these? I'm guessing if I want the LED light working I'll need to disconnect the two grey wires that are currently meant for the old bulb, and re-terminate them into one of the little black block type connectors. Does anyone know where I can get these connectors from?

Attachments

• LEDBulbConnector.jpg
    LEDBulbConnector.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 5
  • Connector.jpg
    Connector.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 6
  • NewTray.jpg
    NewTray.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 7
Done

In case anyone is interested, I got this finished off last night.

After speaking to my local MB dealership and being told that they couldn't source the proper connector for the LED light, I DIY'd it.

I used two small spade connectors for the LED itself, and ran it off one of the grey live wires and the brown ground with a couple of cable lock connectors.

This light runs on the same wiring as the button / number plate / instrument cluster illumination, in case you pop a fuse as I did. The fuse for this is in the box to the right of the steering wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom