W208 CLK - Clicking noise when engines cold ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mobb

Car
CLK55 AMG - E92 M3
I start the car and i can hear this clicking noise coming from the engine bay that sounds exactly like them toys that you get from those stupid shops.. you know its like a little plastic ratchet with a straight pole connected to it and you use that pole to spin it around and it makes that clicking noise really fast? :crazy:

Again sorry for being so vague but its one of those things that doesn't sound like its damaging anything.. but i can hear it and i know its there.

The sound car be heard when i start the car for the first time 7 / 10 mornings whilst in park, drive and whilst moving away at low speed. The sound then disappears after 3 - 5 minutes and also as the engine becomes warmer.

So we have a ratchet clicking sound (not quite as harsh as a metal ratchet.. but can be heard whilst in and out of the car).. The sound is active whilst the car is in Park and whilst its driving until the engine gets warmer.. 60 degrees + the sound gets faster when i accelerate and as the RPMs rise.

Sounds very much like a child's plastic ratchet.

Some enlighten me as to the cause?

Loving these descriptions!

:D Dont know how else to describe them.. Only have 2 Issues with my CLK and im not even sure if they are actual problems.. So thought id ask.. :rolleyes:

Sorry for resurrecting this post, but did you fix this or learn to live with it?

I had an annoying noise when turning sharply, but it only happened on right turns and only after I had previously turned left.

After much head scratching it turned out to be the short wheel brace in the tool tray, which on the W203 estate is stored vertically, just in front of the N/S rear light cluster. On a spirited right turn it would pivot in its foam tray and the head would clout the bodywork. It would then stay there until a decent left turn, and the process would be repeated. A small piece of foam rubber nailed to the inside of the bodywork did the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom