W208 CLK indicator problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SJC-CLK

Car
CLK 320
Hi,all. This is my first post, I am new to the club and forums in general so I apologize in advance if I accidentally break any rules or post something in the wrong place.
I have had a liking for old Mercs. for quite a long time now and a few weeks ago i was seduced by the lovely looks of a 2001 CLK 320 cabriolet. In general it seemed very good so I brought it. A couple of weeks ago I took it for a holiday to the South of France where it behaved very well no problems at all. My first day back at work last week I was about to set off home and noticed that the left indicators were on. thinking I must have knocked the stalk I went to cancel the indicators but the stalk was central. I could get right indicators or left indicators but not, no indicators. After fiddling about for a bit I discovered that If I moved the stalk very slowly, then the right would take over suddenly with no gap and at this point the smallest movement would select either left or right. I decided that I had to get it home so set off from work. after a few yards I went over a pot hole and the indicators stopped. Great I thought but as soon as I used the indicators the fault returned.
It sounds like just a little problem at first. but it is a real pain driving like that. Hazards for straight on and the indicators for left or right. I stuck to country lanes as much as possible but I still got a lot of attention from other drivers. Yes I know that I am going along with the hazard lights flashing Its because I am a hazard.
I got it home and started to try to find out what is wrong. I lifted up the front fuse box and SAM unit and was very pleased to see that it was like a new car under there. I agitated the plugs and relays etc but to no avail. I couldn't find a rear SAM, just a fuse box. Because the first jolt to the car seemed to cure the problem I am inclined to think that the problem is electro mechanical and not electronic. however since the first pot hole I have not been able to repeat that.
So now I have removed the steering wheel and I have got as far at the clock spring. Because that unit also contains the steering angle encoder and it is critical that it goes back exactly as it came off I have left it until I know better what I am doing. I have read that the unit can be locked in position with a "red pin" I have looked at it but cant see anywhere where I might be able to insert something to lock the clock spring etc.
So I am hoping that someone might be able to help me cure the problem. A diagram of how it all goes together would be a great help. or maybe someone has had the same problem and can tell me what the cure is.
Fortunately I also have a trusty old S202 2.5 turbodiesel to get about in until the problem is cured. I am so pleased that this didn't happen whilst I was in France, that would have been such a nightmare.

OK so here is an update. I have fixed the problem. It was indeed the indicator switch that was at fault. The job was rather fiddly but I got there in the end. I just marked the position of everything in relation to the clock spring etc.there was only just enough slack in the wiring to me to allow me to un clip the two multiway plugs from the switch casting.
Now everything works including the SRS. As soon as I fired the car up I got ABS and BAS faults which went away after a lock to lock turn of the wheel.

OK so here is an update. I have fixed the problem. It was indeed the indicator switch that was at fault. The job was rather fiddly but I got there in the end. I just marked the position of everything in relation to the clock spring etc.there was only just enough slack in the wiring to me to allow me to un clip the two multiway plugs from the switch casting.
Now everything works including the SRS. As soon as I fired the car up I got ABS and BAS faults which went away after a lock to lock turn of the wheel.

Hi- just read your posts, your first one was nearly identical to what happened to me today in my CLK 2.3 Kompressor,indicator was stuck on signalling left even in 'neutral position' . Managed to get home embarrisingly on my hazards and with arm signals( even had a large yellow post it sticker in the rear window) which was hardly visible....
I then disconnected the battery and accidently closed the boot cos it was raining- spent all afternoon trying to open it with my key- which I never knew was in the fob.It only went in 3/4of the way at first, but with plenty of WD40 and trying to gently jiggle it every hour I managed to open it.Connected battery and still the same-so it's been a bad day all round.Taking to my local MercTech tommorow-fingers crossed.....Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom