W208 CLK soft top not opening.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KorkyBoy

Car
W208 CLK200 cabrio. W209 CLK 200 cabrio
My soft top won’t open -Advice please :

When I unlatch it, the windows go down & the switch illuminates ( steady) but the rear window ( bow?) doesn’t “clunk” to unlatch. Pull switch to raise roof but nothing happens & switch flashes.

I’ve checked that the boot is closed & that the soft top inner compartment cover is closed - microswitch “clicks” when lever is pushed manually but haven’t checked if the switch is sending the required signal.

I’ve tried to reset the roof sequence as per the owners handbook ( ignition to 0 then 2 then depress switch) but again no result.

Headrests rise & fall by their own switch but sometimes they go up instead of down when I unlatch the roof ( which might point to a sequencing problem ?).

Have tried to open the roof manually ( in an attempt to operate it through the sequence a few times to reboot the sensors) as per owners handbook using manual closure instructions in reverse ( release hydraulic pressure by turning screw through boot hole, then unlocking the soft top cover with the special spanner) but I can’t get the bow to move .

The car had been in winter storage - battery was flat but was charged & car started - I cycled roof once - it worked fine) - then a week later it moved a fraction then wouldn’t go further - Closed it via the switch , then it refused to work again.

Any thoughts or fixes please ?

PS - I’m a one star mechanic - will do simple tasks but anything too complicated & I’m out of my depth .

There are quite a few threads on this already.

You can try the roof pump relay else you will need to diag the car using star diagnostic.

Thanks. Is there any way of testing a relay ?

Hi there,
Can anyone help?
My 2001 W208 CLK 320 convertible roof stopped opening back in July and I have been fault finding since. One fault that seems to have developed (and it could have been since I have been opening/closing the roof manually) is that the rear bow lock mechanism which is normally operated hydraulically but manually just now by an Allen key will not lock without being given a “kickstart” with a screwdriver pushing against the latch mechanism. It simply will not turn with the Allen key, although it will unlock all the way with the key.
I have removed the cylinder and lock (P/N 1247700426) and can see no obvious damage or reason why it would bind in this way.
Has anyone seen this before, and if so, what is the solution?
I’m now in the situation where I cannot lock the rear bow and use the car in the rain! I’m getting desperate!
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Cheers
Pauldy

Hi,

I would accept a small defeat with this and take it to a good MB indie and let them diagnose the problem with star diagnostic.

Hi,

I would accept a small defeat with this and take it to a good MB indie and let them diagnose the problem with star diagnostic.
Thank you.
I was coming to that conclusion, but it’s finding the good indie with Star Diagnostic in Aberdeenshire is the problem!

Thanks. Is there any way of testing a relay ?
Did you get your roof fixed? Whilst my post talks about the rear bow lock being difficult to lock manually, before I got to that point my roof opening showed the same symptoms as yours. So far I’ve not been able to fix it!
cheers

My soft top won’t open -Advice please :

When I unlatch it, the windows go down & the switch illuminates ( steady) but the rear window ( bow?) doesn’t “clunk” to unlatch. Pull switch to raise roof but nothing happens & switch flashes.

I’ve checked that the boot is closed & that the soft top inner compartment cover is closed - microswitch “clicks” when lever is pushed manually but haven’t checked if the switch is sending the required signal.

I’ve tried to reset the roof sequence as per the owners handbook ( ignition to 0 then 2 then depress switch) but again no result.

Headrests rise & fall by their own switch but sometimes they go up instead of down when I unlatch the roof ( which might point to a sequencing problem ?).

Have tried to open the roof manually ( in an attempt to operate it through the sequence a few times to reboot the sensors) as per owners handbook using manual closure instructions in reverse ( release hydraulic pressure by turning screw through boot hole, then unlocking the soft top cover with the special spanner) but I can’t get the bow to move .

The car had been in winter storage - battery was flat but was charged & car started - I cycled roof once - it worked fine) - then a week later it moved a fraction then wouldn’t go further - Closed it via the switch , then it refused to work again.

Any thoughts or fixes please ?

PS - I’m a one star mechanic - will do simple tasks but anything too complicated & I’m out of my depth .
Hi, did you end up finding a solution to this problem?

I have a 2000 CLK 320 (W208) and the roof is closed and will not open. I have checked the sensors that are part of the retractable luggage slider in the trunk and it is certainly not those because the switch does not blink when trying to open the roof (as it would if the car thought the slider was not closed). When starting the process and unlatching the roof, the windows come down as usual. But once we pull up on the switch nothing happens. I have checked all fuses in the front and rear fuse boxes. I have tried tightening the two latches in the back of the car to see if they are making the car think the roof is not fully closed, but that did not help.

What is the next thing to check? Do I check the switches/sensors in the folding arms of the roof or do I check the relays by the pump behind the rear seats?

What happens when attempting to open the roof:
Open roof handle - all windows open, consul roof switch turns red
Pull up consul roof switch - switch flashes but NOTHING else happens
Everything else seems to work fine incl. boot lock, rear safety headrests, windows, central locking .....

Any suggestions would be helpful, and it really seems like your problem is the same as I am struggling with.

Hi, did you end up finding a solution to this problem?

I have a 2000 CLK 320 (W208) and the roof is closed and will not open. I have checked the sensors that are part of the retractable luggage slider in the trunk and it is certainly not those because the switch does not blink when trying to open the roof (as it would if the car thought the slider was not closed). When starting the process and unlatching the roof, the windows come down as usual. But once we pull up on the switch nothing happens. I have checked all fuses in the front and rear fuse boxes. I have tried tightening the two latches in the back of the car to see if they are making the car think the roof is not fully closed, but that did not help.

What is the next thing to check? Do I check the switches/sensors in the folding arms of the roof or do I check the relays by the pump behind the rear seats?

What happens when attempting to open the roof:
Open roof handle - all windows open, consul roof switch turns red
Pull up consul roof switch - switch flashes but NOTHING else happens
Everything else seems to work fine incl. boot lock, rear safety headrests, windows, central locking .....

Any suggestions would be helpful, and it really seems like your problem is the same as I am struggling with.
It’s tough to track down the issue , on my 2009 CLK I can use my icarsoft scanner to identify faults . Might be worth getting the car diagnosed for fault codes to see if anything gives a clue ?
Would it be worth opening the car roof manually and see if it will then close electronically. Might narrow something down .
Let us know how you get on and good luck .
When did the roof last operate normally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom