W208 Clk. Which (make of) Brake Pads to go for?

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by Timper, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Timper

Timper Active Member

Car:
    Merc
    can anyone advise / share their experience?

There seem to be so many makes and brands on the market and the prices vary loads too

My sister has a W reg CLK circa 2000 model. (Pretty sure it's a 320)

Needs rear pads apparently.

All answers and advice most welcome.

2. Nicensleazy

Nicensleazy Active Member

Car:
    1998 CLK230
    I paid £21.70 plus VAT (£26.04) for rear pads on my W208 230 CLK at MB Sheffield recently. I got a brand new set of front pads MB genuine from an independent in Sheffield for £20. Less than £50 front and rear.

The previous owner had put on cheap pads that all though there was nothing wrong with them, they squealed a lot and the braking was just not as assured as original. For the price I'd just go with originals. Just shop round before buying to get the best price.

3. flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Got Pagid on mine, a visit to GSF or Euro car parts in Sheffield will soon have you sorted but dont pay more than £50 for both sets.

4. npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
  5. OP
    OP
    Timper

Timper Active Member

Car:
    Merc
    Thanks folks for your kind advice.

Does anyone know, what the OEM are? Are they Pagid?

6. OP
    OP
    Timper

Timper Active Member

Car:
    Merc
    PS, who's changed them themselves 'at home'?

Reason i ask, GSF just asked me if they are single pin or twin pin. Of course I would only know if I took the pads off myself and had a look which I cant. (Because the car is 100 miles away from me)

Also, regarding the job itself; are there any special sensors or cables / clips to be wary of when changing them?

7. kth286

kth286 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320 Coupe

that's why you need to order parts by using the car VIN. It is normally in the windscreen plate.

Your best bet is always to get them from the dealer, as they will not need to ask you those sorts of questions with the VIN.

8. OP
    OP
    Timper

Timper Active Member

Car:
    Merc
    You are 100% correct about that. Just spoke to MB Loughborough who would like £37.20 (Including VAT)

Only £9 more than Eurocarparts. If it was me, i'd probably buy them from MB for the sake of a nice history file showing correct OE parts used, and it's not much more to get the correct part first time. We shall see how it pans out!

9. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    If you want send me your vin or reg number, I will tell you what part numbers you need and you can give these numbers to Euro or GSF who then cant get it wrong!

Pagid are Euro only brand, we have never had any issue, very good value in fact.
    GSF will probably supply Brembo or similar but will be more expensive usually.

1 person likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Timper

Timper Active Member

Car:
    Merc
    Thankyou. That's kind of you Jay, i may well take you up on that. It's not my call to make, once my sister tells me what she wants to do, i'll let you know if i need the info. Thanks again.

11. OP
    OP
    Timper

Timper Active Member

Car:
    Merc
    GSF said its either Bendix (sp?) Durid (sp?) or maybe Brembo, and either £28.20 or £31.80 incl VAT depending on twin or single pin.