W208 CLK230K not staying on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

design guru

Car
2001 W220 Mercedes S320cdi & 2001 W208 CLK230K (SORN since 2008)
Hello,

I have a 2001 CLK230K that has been sitting in my garage for the last 9 years, I decided to start it up today so I added fresh fuel and a fully charged battery, it cranked over fine and eventually fired up but only for a second or two. I have sprayed a liberal amount of easy start in the air intake which helps but it keeps doing the same of eventually firing up and then cuts out after a few seconds.

Any thoughts on what I can try to keep it ticking over, I may need to change the fuel filter as the old may have blocked after sitting for several years.

I looked on euro car parts and there are 2 filters available. £15-20 one and a £60-80 version but they are the exact same spec.

That’s a long period off road.

Hopefully someone will be able to advise soon. Modern fuel does seem to go off if left as I have found putting a car away for 6 months over winter the last few years so could be fuel filter related as you say.

What’s the story with the car being stored if you don’t mind me asking?

First
That’s a long period off road.

Hopefully someone will be able to advise soon. Modern fuel does seem to go off if left as I have found putting a car away for 6 months over winter the last few years so could be fuel filter related as you say.

What’s the story with the car being stored if you don’t mind me asking?

First Mercedes I purchased from new and I'm the only owner since, being my first toy I fitted every extra I could, finished in dark blue with cream leather and Mono AMG alloys. I didn't want to sell it when I lost my job back in 2008 so I decided to just store it in my parents garage and its been sitting there. I used to crank it over for the first year or so but after the battery went flat I just left it. it has a nice 1cm of dust protecting the paintwork and a month before taking it off the road I had the dreaded rust appearing on the arches and Mercedes picked up the cost completely and fixed it so the paintwork is blemish free, sadly the same can't be said about my current S Class from the same year.

Just had the AA out and he confirmed the fuel pump was not running. Plan is fit a new pump and filter while I'm down there and it should run fine again and obviously change the air filter and oil.

Hi,
Firstly you will need to drain the fuel tank as the fuel has gone stale, replace the filter and ensure correct operation of the pump.

First

First Mercedes I purchased from new and I'm the only owner since, being my first toy I fitted every extra I could, finished in dark blue with cream leather and Mono AMG alloys. I didn't want to sell it when I lost my job back in 2008 so I decided to just store it in my parents garage and its been sitting there. I used to crank it over for the first year or so but after the battery went flat I just left it. it has a nice 1cm of dust protecting the paintwork and a month before taking it off the road I had the dreaded rust appearing on the arches and Mercedes picked up the cost completely and fixed it so the paintwork is blemish free, sadly the same can't be said about my current S Class from the same year.

Sounds like a great car. Appreciating in value for a mint example now probably. My CLK, bought used was my first automotive toy, being in London at the time didn’t really need a car. Fantastic memories. Sold mine right at the bottom of the market in 2012.

You planning to use it regularly once it’s up and running?

First

Sounds like a great car. Appreciating in value for a mint example now probably. My CLK, bought used was my first automotive toy, being in London at the time didn’t really need a car. Fantastic memories. Sold mine right at the bottom of the market in 2012.

Always hoped it would appreciate, quite happy to leave it in the garage for another 10 years as it’s not costing anything to leave it there. Just need to start it so I know it’s not completely dead. My heart did stop when I first turned the key hoping I didn’t hear a bang or a snapping sound but it’s a true testament to the car that it still cranks up after 8 years of being left once I fit the new filter and pump. If it does go back in the garage I think I’ll cover it.

I sold my CLK230K in 2012 too. The buyer got a bargain - £2000 for that lovely car. I miss it.
CLK230K 003

Always hoped it would appreciate, quite happy to leave it in the garage for another 10 years as it’s not costing anything to leave it there. Just need to start it so I know it’s not completely dead. My heart did stop when I first turned the key hoping I didn’t hear a bang or a snapping sound but it’s a true testament to the car that it still cranks up after 8 years of being left once I fit the new filter and pump. If it does go back in the garage I think I’ll cover it.

People always said when they were launched they would be future classics. Maybe in another 10 years, why not if it’s not costing you anything to store.

Might be worth a change of fluids - oil/brake fluid/antifreeze for a couple of hundred £ to give you a good chance of it working well in a decade.

I think in ten years time the engine won’t be the biggest concern. All the rubber parts will be suspect, brake hoses, tyres, seals, bearings etc. Wiper linkage, auto gearbox seals, etc.

CLKs are nice enough cars but were sold in such large numbers I can’t see them being worth fortunes anytime soon. I had a very tidy CLK55 that I sold some years back - that sort of thing perhaps was rare enough that in years to come it might be in demand but if you’re storing a CLK 230 for another decade for purely financial reasons I’m not sure it would be worth it :)

Hate to say it but financially you’d have been far better selling the CLK back in 2008 when they were worth a reasonable amount, and putting the money in the bank or something! :doh:

Andy’s advice is spot on. The fuel will have had it, by trying to start it now you’ll just be cranking stale fuel into the injection system at the front end. You’ll need to drain the tank and flush everything out, replace the pump and filters if need be first. Not sure it’s worth it if you’re going to park it back up for another ten years though?

Result. Well I changed the fuel pump, filter and new fuel in the tank and it started after two turns, after about 30 seconds of running it idled steadily. Will eventually change the oil and air filter nearer to December once I've sold my S Class which has seen better days.

Crap, its been 2 months and the car is back to where it was, its probably my own mistake of not starting it since I got it going a couple of months back. Can the fuel pump fail in that time?

some people mentions of giving it a whack to get it moving. Is there a relay or way of testing it with a multimeter? I don't have a pressure gauge to test the pressure.

I did check the fuse and its fine, is there a relay located somewhere that I can check, any idea where it may be?

Thankfully the pump is still working, need to check the CPS. Found a video online on how to check with a multimeter. Also my brake fluid has leaked out so need to find the corroded pipe, not the abs unit as I checked for moisture.

Has anyone replaced a Crankshaft Position Sensor on a 2001 CLK230K, if so where is it located? I looked behind the engine and there about enough room to squeeze a flash light down there, but nothing else so I had no chance of seeing anything.

Hi,
Firstly you will need to drain the fuel tank as the fuel has gone stale, replace the filter and ensure correct operation of the pump.
In regards to modern fuel. On winter lay up of my wife's and my classic cars I have been using Briggs&Stratton winter fuel additive, seems to work OK

Has anyone replaced a Crankshaft Position Sensor on a 2001 CLK230K, if so where is it located? I looked behind the engine and there about enough room to squeeze a flash light down there, but nothing else so I had no chance of seeing anything.

CLK230K-Engine.jpg

I managed to find an image of the same engine for sale online, am I right in saying A is the camshaft sensor and B is the crankshaft position sensor?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom