W208 CLK230K VS CLK320 Power for fun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sebywarlord

Car
clk 230k
Hello,in the past i had a CLK230k ,i loved that car,had lots of fun with it,now i got an e250 coupe 2010.
I am thinking of buying a w208 again,just for fun,but can't decide on the engine
What i loved about the 230k was the power ,but now i am thinking to get the 320 v6,but i also had a w209 clk240 v6 ,and i was very dissapointed in its lack of power.
Now theoretically the clk320 is stronger because it has 218 BHP and the 230k 197 BHP,but i also had an bmw e92 325i (220 BHP ) which didn't even compare with the clk230k
So main question is ,which is stronger , the 230k or the 320 ?
Thanks

It is all down to torque, the 240 (actually a 2,6l) has rather poor overall torque delivered quite high in the RPM range.

BMW straight 6 engines are also relatively modest with regards to torque production at low RPM, a Supercharged engine is designed to produce a wider spread of torque from relatively low RPM so you will always get a better response at smaller throttle openings.

Was your previous CLK manual or automatic? The C320 was only available in automatic mode (certainly in the C Class)

It is down to torque, the 240 (actually a 2,6l) has rather poor overall torque delivered quite high in the RPM range.

BMW straight 6 engines are also relatively modest with regards to torque production at low RPM, a Supercharged engine is designed to produce a wider spread of torque from relatively low RPM so you will always get a better response at smaller throttle openings.

Was your previous CLK manual or automatic? The C320 was only available in automatic mode (certainly in the C Class)
Both the CLKs and the bmw were automatics,and i am looking to get an auto this time aswell

Both the CLKs and the bmw were automatics,and i am looking to get an auto this time aswell
It depends on the power delivery you like.

The 320 V6 is very smooth and responsive, I have no experience of the 4 cylinder Supercharged engine.

It depends on the power delivery you like.

The 320 V6 is very smooth and responsive, I have no experience of the 4 cylinder Supercharged engine.
I don't want smooth,when i do a kickdown i want the full power right away.
Anyway i still got access to my old clk since i sold it to a friend,so i will borrow it for a few hours,and do a test drive with a 320 aswell,so i can decide.

I don't want smooth,when i do a kickdown i want the full power right away.
Anyway i still got access to my old clk since i sold it to a friend,so i will borrow it for a few hours,and do a test drive with a 320 aswell,so i can decide.
That’s the best thing to do. I had a W208 CLK230K for ten years and I loved it. But in that time I also drove quite a few W208 CLK320s and every time wished that was the engine I’d gone for in the first place. I preferred the smoothness and the way the power was delivered, but that was my personal preference and may not be yours. Where the 230K did win out though was in fuel consumption.
CLK230K 009

I swear they were selling for around £3k a few years ago!
Yeh!! I don’t know what’s going on! I used to see 209 55s for 5k!

Tbh these prices are what the sellers want but doubt buyers are ready to pay lol

Yeh!! I don’t know what’s going on! I used to see 209 55s for 5k!
I saw some of those, but they were very tired looking; like they'd been driven hard. - That's one of the reasons I bought this car instead; it looked nearly new (although I'm sure the trained eye can see otherwise).

I saw some of those, but they were very tired looking; like they'd been driven hard. - That's one of the reasons I bought this car instead; it looked nearly new (although I'm sure the trained eye can see otherwise).

to be honest you would struggle to really find a 10+ year old AMG that hasnt :(

Look for a well looked after W208 430 or a W209 500 usually not bought by the pedal to the metal AMG Drivers , slightly more subtle usually driven sublimely by the owners who bought it for the prestige of the 500 or 430 badge but didnt want a "track car " 320 will always be an also ran to one of these and the torque is all there at 800RPM onwards and upwards no expensive AMG discs & Pads just basic standard MB engineering after these you enter the law of diminishing returns

I had a C180K which I believe has the same 1.8L M271 engine as the CLK230K, albeit less stressed and lower tune level.

Fantastic engine for a 4-Cyl unit, clever design with lightweight alloy block, 16V DOHC and Supercharger, and shy of 200bhp output in the 230K guise.... but prone to timing gear failure on older cars.

So if it's indeed the M271 engine, then I would check carefully the mileage and service history before buying.

See also:
The Complete M271 Engine thread. ( Revised and Updated )

Said that... the V6 will always be the better engine, and in this case also the safer bet.

Higher fuel consumption and potentially higher running costs, but great fun to drive and no risk of the engine go belly-up at 100k miles due to failed timing gear.

Fun is a relative state of mind.

Pay 500 quid for a car with either engine and rag the pants but go in thinking it's disposable and let the fun begin :)

C208 230K will be the M111 ENGINE - pretty bulletproof compared early versions of its more sophisticated successor. :oops:

That’s the best thing to do. I had a W208 CLK230K for ten years and I loved it. But in that time I also drove quite a few W208 CLK320s and every time wished that was the engine I’d gone for in the first place. I preferred the smoothness and the way the power was delivered, but that was my personal preference and may not be yours. Where the 230K did win out though was in fuel consumption.
CLK230K 009
I agree. Fuel consumption is brilliant. You can buy mine if you want

CLK230K 009

320 fuel consumtion isn’t too shabby - this was my A208 320.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/18T4aP2ZI8NeBXK63

I’ve had both engines. If you like ragging around, the 230k is the preferable engine. It is nippy and the sound of the supercharger is addictive and never intrusive.

The 320 however is hugely my favourite. Great grunt from low down, wide power band and super smooth. Lovely motor that suits the car perfectly.

320 fuel consumtion isn’t too shabby - this was my A208 320.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/18T4aP2ZI8NeBXK63

I’ve had both engines. If you like ragging around, the 230k is the preferable engine. It is nippy and the sound of the supercharger is addictive and never intrusive.

The 320 however is hugely my favourite. Great grunt from low down, wide power band and super smooth. Lovely motor that suits the car perfectly.
Good, but here’s my 230k:
CLK230K 009

Reactions: Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom