W208 CLK320 Convertable. Water leaking in behind glove box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyoneill

Car
CLK 320 Avantguarde convertible
HELP PLEASE! Car is leaking water when it is raining from the back of the glovebox. Water pours into the passenger footwell from under the glove box as well as the back of the glovebox. Car has been into the garage twice, all drains checked, windscreen checked, bodywork seems checked. Next step is to put it into a bodywork shop for a total strip down. Any advice would be great!
Apologies for the Convertable spelling.

Last edited:
It will be the drain blocked that drains the windscreen scuttle , I had the same with mine the other day.

Open the bonnet and on the right hand side under the windscreen there is a rubber grommet with a rubber flap that drains the windscreen scuttle into the wing drain.

This gets blocked and the water pressure isn't sufficient to push the flap open so it fills up , the scuttle holds about a gallon of water , this then overflows via the heater motor intake into the footwell.

You will need to drop your dash in the passenger footwell as I guarantee the heater motor and pollen filter will be full of water too.

Don't **** about trying to clear the grommet , it's just push fit , pull it off and stick your little finger in it and the deluge will pour out !

Thank you very much. Will try that on Monday after picking the car up from the garage. Really hope that is the problem otherwise it's driving around with a car cover on.
Cheers.

Agree with Howard, the W202 in the video below will be similar to your W208 in the way that the drains are laid out.

Dec
[YOUTUBE]C_LeuzB36dQ[/YOUTUBE]

Very good video find Dec, but it only deals with the passenger side drain, there is also another one on the drivers side just off the centre line of the car, and drains under the car not far from the gearbox, shouldn't require much if any more disassembly then what the video shows though.
As Howard says above the 202 C class above is the same as a 208 CLK.

I have to say , when I did mine , it was in a massive panic so water was flooding into the car.

I took the grille off under the windscreen , loads of bolts , took the rubber trim off round the firewall , dismantled the top part of the box , spent ages on it. Taking it apart carefully so I didn't break anything , finally got the top of the intake box off and put my hand in ( it's deep , about 8/10 inches ) ....

Before I found the rubber grommet by the suspension top mount and fixed it in about 2 seconds flat :eek:

:fail

Thanks guys, will let you know how I get on. Have a horrible feeling it's something worse having had it in a garage twice but it would explain the "swooshing water" sound I get when first driving the car after it has been stood in the rain for a few hours just before niagra falls let's loose.

I'll take a couple of pictures when I get home in an hour or so

Right , the first picture shows you where you need to get your ( hopefully small ) hand , into the little triangular space between bonnet strut and AC box.

Next picture is a close up , the little tube you see to the left of the green and purple tubes is the one I reckon is blocked. Yours will no doubt have a push fit rubber bung/flap/grommet thing on it.

Wiggle it off , get your little finger in the hole and wiggle it about , water should rush out .

I binned the rubber grommet thing , much less chance of it happening again if it's not there.

Last edited:
Problem sorted! Bonnet up, rubber flap opened, wiggle dirt around and water released. Thank you so much. Cannot quite believe how simple that was!
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom