W208 CLK320 Spark Plug Change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawkwind

Car
CLK 320
I intend to change the spark plugs on my car in the not too distant future.

I've serviced my own cars for many years, so I'm no stranger to the basic method, the only difference on my car really seems to be two plugs per cylinder and also I have seen on youtube that there may be a clearance problem with the rearmost cylinders.

The video I saw, they needed to unbolt the engine mounts and raise the engine to gain access! However the guy doing the work did not have the correct Mercedes coil removal tool.

So the question is, if I have the correct tool, will it still be necessary to raise the engine?

I'll be grateful for any advice or tips doing this job.

Cheers Steve.

You don't need to raise the engine with or without the mercedes tool, a decent 3/8 socket set will get the job done.

Thanks for the reply Carat.

So nothing really different from any other car then.

Any recommendations on spark plugs?

I tend to stick to Bosch or NGK spark plugs.

The rear spark plugs are a little difficult to get too, you just need the correct uj and extension combo. Never needed to jack up the engine though.

As above no need to jack the engine I always think Bosch suit MB engines better than other brands

Cheers guys, I'll dig around and see if I can find my trusty universal joint.

Very tight at the rear plugs - one engine mounting bolt to loosen each side and jack engine so it tilts, makes the job so much easier. My SL is a breeze as lots of space there;)

And yes use original spec Bosch plugs FR8DPP 33 or 7422.

Last edited:
No need to undo the mounts.

Just get a uj spark plug socket and it's a doddle.

Thanks for the advice Black55, always good to hear from an experienced pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom