W208 CLK320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwtreasure

Car
CLK 320
Here’s a quick shot of my 2001 CLK320 in pretty good fettle considering the age, and surprisingly little rust. I greatly dislike the way the skinny rear wheels - they do look odd and don’t fit in the arches well, but as there’s not a mark on them I’m in no rush to get rid of them! It sailed through its MOT recently and it’s far more enjoyable to drive than I expected.

Attachments

• 3943F471-AF99-4B86-A362-491BC470E60E.jpeg
    3943F471-AF99-4B86-A362-491BC470E60E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Very nice, what's first on the list of things to do?

Looks pretty tidy. I think the 208 is one of the last Mercedes that wasn’t jam packed with sensors. Love mine.

1 year on and it still seems to have a clean bill of health, so now looking to pad those arches out a bit with some more suitable wheels. The Mirzams just don’t seem to sit right on the rear, almost like they are too far forward. Any recommendations welcomed, the 17 inch staggered AMG’s are probably the way forward I suspect, the dream would be monoblocks but not really justifiable unless it had a 55AMG badge on the back :)

Last edited:
A set of these is what you need…

6-B7-B8-DBF-A5-DE-4-BEA-A8-B1-9937-C88-C8-B9-D.jpg

The quality of the material is really good. I bought the roughest set on eBay I’ve ever seen. They looked like they had been in the sea. Spit & Polish refurbished them for me and diamond cut the lip. Nine years on still as good as the day they were done.

A set of these is what you need…

6-B7-B8-DBF-A5-DE-4-BEA-A8-B1-9937-C88-C8-B9-D.jpg

The quality of the material is really good. I bought the roughest set on eBay I’ve ever seen. They looked like they had been in the sea. Spit & Polish refurbished them for me and diamond cut the lip. Nine years on still as good as the day they were done.
Exactly the staggered style that’s at the very top of the list, they look superb.

Part numbers whilst I have them handy for these.. had the same on our Clk..

hwa 1704010102 and are 7/12 x17 et 37 for the front
hwa 1704010202 and are 81/2 x17 et 30 for the rear..

I changed from 17 to 16 (staggered) inch on my CLK. Almost no difference in ride, steering felt better and tyres are cheaper.

My car was ordered with the optional 18" monoblock 2 wheels.
I must admit, the rears were tucked in a little too much for my liking. I had to install 12mm spacers to make them look right.

My car was ordered with the optional 18" monoblock 2 wheels.
I must admit, the rears were tucked in a little too much for my liking. I had to install 12mm spacers to make them look right.
As the weeny Mirzams are immaculate I did think shoving some spacers on might actually improve things. But not vastly enough I suspect.

I am a technophobe, Out side diameter is pretty much the same, higher side wall for better ride, that was the theory but in practice not much difference. My car is W209, picture is of not much use.
Looking again at your picture why not look for 2 7.5jx16 alloys on ebay there are usually plenty for sale. Tyres 225 - 50 - 16.
I think that would be your cheapest option.

Just for info you can get Mirzam rims at 8.5 J X17 for the rear ( I think they are from SLKs ) although then you would need fronts in the bigger 17 inch also. They turn up on Ebay.

Factor in possible refurb ££cost.
most items look much better in pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom