W208 CLK430 stuck in drive or neutral fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26392

As above, I only drive the clk once a week usually on a Monday or Friday into Glasgow. The car has performed perfectly since my acquisition in Nov.

So after driving into work and home again the car wouldn't allow me to move past neutral to get to park. It engages drive no problem but I can get past neutral and thus could get the key out to lock the door. Anyway I ended up sticking it back in my garage and have booked it into my local independent on Tuesday when the AA will need to drag it out of my garage and upto my mechanics.

So what does the panel think the issue might be?

Scott

I had something similar and it was due to battery bring low, gear changes are apparently voltage sensitive. Also sometimes Histed switched it off and on again. I only drive the clk 3/4 a year

It could be a number of things from worn selector rod bushes, a worn selector, worn engine mounts etc etc.

Hi,I had this problem on my clk430 . It was the brake switch behind the brake pedal. Very common problem so I now carry a spare

Hi,I had this problem on my clk430 . It was the brake switch behind the brake pedal. Very common problem so I now carry a spare ?de44

Thanks for that. How did you find out it was the switch? And can you confirm the part number i need? Cheers. Scott

s2oty said:
Thanks for that. How did you find out it was the switch? And can you confirm the part number i need? Cheers. Scott

Get it diagnosed before bolting parts to it. It will save you ££ In the long run.

Booked I yo my local indy for Tuesday. I left it in my garage since thurs and now the battery is flat...

AA will be called tommorow night to get it recovered as I'm working away from home from Tuesday.

Will let you all know what the issue was.

Scott

I left it in my garage since thurs and now the battery is flat...Scott

Then the battery's likely to have expired.
The new one required may obviate the need for any diagnostics.

Sorry been a bit busy. I ordered one from euro parts only a tenner. Then ordered a spare from Mercedes ...same price!

AA patrol turned up this eve as booked. Popped a wee screwdriver into the slot at the bottom of the gear stick which allowed him to move the selector into park and remove the key. He 'charged the battery' with a boost pack connected to the front top charging terminal in tbe engine bay which then allowed the boot to then be opened whereby he checked the battery confiming it's fine. He connected the battery upto his van to charge it before the car fired right up. He tested gears and all were working fine along with reverse. His view is the battery would go flat after 5 days as the keys are still in the ignition stuck in N. test drove the car and also everything was fine. His view is that it's a intermittent switch fault. I drove the car to the indy garage as they have it tommorow to check.

My W203 got stuck in park once. Disconnected the battery and it was fine after.

The mystery continues.

Garage called to say they couldn't replicate the issue, nor are there any faults, tramns fluid us all fine and thus they suggesting I see if it happens again.

I have this problem with my 2005 W211 280 Cdi. I think it best to use this thread rather than start a second on the same subject.

The car starts and drives absolutely fine but, intermittently, it will not allow me to shift from drive to reverse or park. The sifter stops at neutral. I have a work around, turn off the ignition, the sifter is then free to move to park. Start the car again and all positions are available up to drive. The car then may or may not allow me to select reverse or park, it's a random fault.

Any advice appreciated thank you.

However, most pressing from what I have read above, if the brake pedal switch is faulty will the brake lights not come on?

The brake light does work when the gear selector will not pass neutral.

Also I have a second work around; apply the parking brake and release the foot brake, all gears become available. Bought myself a brake light switch, £10.80 delivered, that I fit today. Fingers crossed!

There are at least two switches, new 4 pin on the left and old 2 pin on the right:

HlXMW7z.jpg

I knew as soon as I saw the difference in the switches that I didn't have a fix. Replaced the switch with the correct switch and no surprise I still have an intermittent issue shifting from drive to reverse or park. The sifter sticks occasionally in neutral.

Is there a second switch on the brake pedal? Any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom