w208 clk55 amg advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iacabu

Car
Clio 172 Cup
I've wanted a v8 for a long time and I'm thinking now might be the time to scratch the itch. I did fancy an e39 540i but they seem to have a few common issues and cost a lot to run, although receive a lot of praise. From what I can gather, the clk seems to be a fairly reliable option with the main issue being rust.

Most of the threads and info I can find online is a few years old now so I thought it wise to ask for myself.

I have seen a car local enough to go and check out. Other than the bodywork I'll be checking the last time the plugs and discs/pads were done as these seem the big cost consumable items. Also that all electrics work. Is there really anything else specifically that should worry me as a potential for big bills? I'll have a bit of cash for a rainy day but don't want it to be ridiculous.

If I can achieve 20mpg with mostly town driving then that'll do.

The car in question... 2000 MERCEDES CLK55 AMG AUTO GENUINE BLACK Fully Loaded | eBay

Any recommendations on insurance companies would be useful too as I seem to be struggling getting it for much less than 1k. 27, 3 years ncd (no accidents or convictions), good area

Any info would be appreciated.

Corrosion would be my only main concern. Brakes and plugs etc are manageable.

You won't achieve 20mpg average around town. Probably mid teens, 20-25mpg on a run. If you drive like a saint on the motorway with no traffic - high twenties.

They're really good cars, I owned one for five and a half years which is the longest I've kept a car for. Getting on a bit now but still plenty of fun and still quick today :cool:

Insurance wise - £1000 with only 3 years NCD probably isn't unrealistic. Don't forget insurance premium tax went up recently :)

Missing the front bumper bar (like they all are) - very expensive to replace if still actually available - so factor that in

Wrong wheels also.

Rust is the biggest concern on W208s. cant tell from the pics, but the arches/under the skirts could be rotten.

The wheels are the same as on mine, great looking however are prone to cracking.

If your at all worried about fuel costs id avoid an AMG...

I've had mine 3 years now and in that time the only things to have gone wrong was the abs pump, £90 off ebay 2 years later brakes still good. Next was the alternator, that was interesting having the dash light up with every warning going and being in limp mode miles from home. £130 recon. Shortly after that, the tensioner pulley seized causing the serpentine belt to snap. Just over £200 to get fixed.
Apart from that, the car starts first time, idles perfect, drives smooth and despite being a 16 year old car with 137k, still throws you back in the seat when you floor it.
The arches were done by the previous owner so no rust there. The only bits I can see on mine are on the bonnet between the side light and the headlight. a bit in the engine bay and a couple of bubbles around the boot lock.
As for mpg, town driving I've seen between 16 and 23. No long motorway journeys yet.
If you do get one, make sure it's got good branded tyres. Before I got the Continental 5's, the traction control light would come on quite frequently. Even around town.
Check the rocker covers for oil leaks. I had mine fixed last year, caused by a blocked breather. Can see why, the hole is tiny.
If you can find a good one then go for it. Things will go wrong but it's the same with any car. They're not as expensive to run as you'd think they'd be. Or maybe I got lucky with this one.

Last edited:
I have had 2 CLK55's great car and great value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom