W208 clk55 heavy steering?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hooblah

Car
190e
The steering on my clk feels a bit heavy to me. I've driven other mercedes' with recirculating ball steering and none have felt like this. It's not unmanageable, but it makes driving a bit of a chore. It's like that at all speeds.

The pump isn't whining and there are no obvious signs of failure. I'm not really sure if it's meant to be like this or not?

Might have to disconnect parts of the steering to see if something is tight, like a ball joint or steering damper seized.

other than that there is a filter in the bottom of the reservoir, maybe worth changing along with a fluid change.

there is also adjustment in the box, it may have been set to tight.

The steering on my clk feels a bit heavy to me. I've driven other mercedes' with recirculating ball steering and none have felt like this. It's not unmanageable, but it makes driving a bit of a chore. It's like that at all speeds.

The pump isn't whining and there are no obvious signs of failure. I'm not really sure if it's meant to be like this or not?

Doesn't sound right I had a couple of C43's with that steering and it was no heavier than that on 124's, 211's and 212's that I've driven.

How old is the car , how many miles , when was the last time the steering rack fluid was changed , how is the level in the header tank and what condition is the fluid in ?

Jack the front of the car up via the centre lift pad under the engine and with the car running turn the wheel from lock to lock and see how it behaves with no load .

Worn harmonic balancer could cause battery warning light to illuminate with heavier steering as a result.
Have you also checked belt tensioner and idler pulleys?

Might have to disconnect parts of the steering to see if something is tight, like a ball joint or steering damper seized.

other than that there is a filter in the bottom of the reservoir, maybe worth changing along with a fluid change.

there is also adjustment in the box, it may have been set to tight.

What is the filter in the steering reservoir box?
I know it's a small round filter with metal outer rings
I have never seen this on my 99 C-class.

Tyres aren't worn. I'll have to check the pressure, but I can't see that causing it to be heavy if they're a few psi down.

I'll have to get tracking checked but I doubt that's the cause.

No idea when the fluid was last changed. It's on 115k. Last time I checked it looked ok.

Noogieman what are you on about?
The belt is fine. The tensioner is fine.

I'm on drugs called V-Power Oxygen 100 octane super unleaded.
You notice my energy, I never run out of stamina? :banana:

Do you have a wobbly HB on idle?
MB had several recalls on this w@nker crankcase part.
This could cause you heavy steering.

Below to do the above - especially damper. After checking tyre pressures that is. That lot before diving inside with fluid change etc.
Jack the front of the car up via the centre lift pad under the engine and with the car running turn the wheel from lock to lock and see how it behaves with no load .

Steering damper when it's dead, there's no resistance in it.
Steering will feel mellow without any muscles in it

Steering will feel very lightweight without having to use any force to it when the damper is out.
Like a lazy old American car, big engine but no real power in it.
If you like lazy you will definitely love it!

There is also the possibility that (if you have it) the speed sensing side of the power steering has a fault. And it is stuck in high speed mode which would mean the steering was heavy all of the time. If your car has it the steering would be taking inputs from all over the place to determine what speed the car is moving at .

I don't even know if this is possible or what the default would be after a sensor failure but if I were designing it I would want it to 'fail safe' in the high speed (heavy) setting so when driving at high speed the steering would not be super sensitive , which is basically what happens when the steering pump fails. Just me thinking out loud 🤷‍♂️. Have you read the codes recently ?

how did the steering fluid look to you ? nice and clean with no bad smell ? When I changed mine (around 120K) it was black , hardly any viscosity to it and it smelt burnt. Probably never been done before. There is only about one litre in there.

I don't even know if this is possible or what the default would be after a sensor failure but if I were designing it I would want it to 'fail safe' in the high speed (heavy) setting so when driving at high speed the steering would not be super sensitive , which is basically what happens when the steering pump fails. Just me thinking out loud 🤷‍♂️. Have you read the codes recently ?
On my 1999 American GM, the default is maximum assistance.
how did the steering fluid look to you ? nice and clean with no bad smell ? When I changed mine (around 120K) it was black , hardly any viscosity to it and it smelt burnt. Probably never been done before. There is only about one litre in there.
More than 2.5l to flush mine. It does provide the assistance for the brakes as well though - and have its own designated cooler.

Steering fluid to assist the brakes, that's a new one on me , what will they think of next ? :). My steering rack has a small radiator and the expansion tank is tiny I would much prefer it to hold as much a 2.5 litres than the paltry one litre it currently holds. The more the merrier I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom