W208 clk55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ice643

I have just bought a black clk55 ,it has 119k on the clock.Its in very good condition.:bannana:
Its like a scolded cat when you press the pedal.A lot of power for a small car.It has I think replica 18"brabus alloys They are 225 4018 and 245 s on the back.
The only thing is at low speeds a hear humming noise and above 65 the steering wheel shakes and you can feel the vibrations on passenger side,
and also slightly lower on the passenger side than the drivers side.
I took the passenger alloy off and the alloy wheel is 8.5.
I couldn't test drive above 50 because that's the limit where I bought it from.

Also it has muffler delete.

I drove the car back from Scotland 250 miles at 60mph.
It bought it privately.

You may have lost some lead balancing weights off one of your wheels. I'd suggest having them rebalanced and see if that cure the shaking above 65mph.

The humming noise could be one of a few things. I'd take it to an indy to give the car a once over inspection and see what needs doing to it.

Which transmission does the CLK have? is it the E55 tranny or C43?.
Thanks

Check the tyres for wear on the inside ,known as
sawtooth (google it) I had the same issue and had badly worn tyres on the inner edge ,changed
them and was like a different car ,hope that helps .

Hi Mate

are you base in NI? If so that car seemed a great deal and you beat me to it lol

wheel bearing ?

Hi Mate

are you base in NI? If so that car seemed a great deal and you beat me to it lol

wheel bearing ?
Hi mate
Yes its the one from NI.Iam based in Yorkshire flewover from Manchester and ferry on the wayback.
Unfortunately yesterday evening exhaust has started to blow.
I dont know if its manifold or exhaust.

I had the wheel off yesterday, on the motorway the vibration has somewhat gone.
Thanks

They blow put at the drivers side join (almost direct under drivers steering wheel area) between the elbow bend and flange -
On my clk430 and c43 I have had to do
This repair with a stainless steel sleeve - worth checking

They blow put at the drivers side join (almost direct under drivers steering wheel area) between the elbow bend and flange -
On my clk430 and c43 I have had to do
This repair with a stainless steel sleeve - worth checking

I had the exhaust checked the exhaust isn't blowing.However there is oil leak.on the rocker covers and breathers.
I think I mistook the smoke from the engine yesterday for a exhaust leak because I had been on the motorway and EML came on and car started misfiring when stood.
Oil leaked into spark plugs I think.Iam goingto seal the rocker covers and breathers,see what happens.
Thanks

common issue and easily sorted - be sure to ensure the breathers are done correctly with proper sealant

For the last couple of days when driving and I try to accelerate or try kickdown, the BAS/ESP light comes on and the car slows down.If I don't boot it I can drive all day without problem.
Once I turn the car off and start again the light s go out.
I have read it could be Throttle position sensor, can this be cleaned?>
Thanks

Worth changing the plugs if they have been contaminated? are the coils there?

The breather was leaking on my old one, not an expensive fix.

I also had a wobble at speed. Was a mix of the wishbones being FUBAR and rear subframe bushes. Sadly both are expensive jobs. Wishbones are around £190 each and AMG specific. Rear subframe is around a £5-600 job even though the parts are £60. Symptom of the subframe was a wobble under acceleration.

Could explain the EML light coming on it engine is rocking about aggressively in situe ?

And also the Bas/esp light coming on and bad throttle response, could the engine mounts have anything to do with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom