W208 - Convertible Hood Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveoelliott

Car
CLK 230K W208
Hi al,

I have a 2000 W208 CLK Cab.

For the past couple of years I've had a fairly infrequent issue with my hood. When it happens it is annoying as it's always when you've got a boot full of stuff and opening the trunk / boot with the key manually is a pain.

It usually happens when putting the hood down... It will go right through it's cycle until the last point when the hood lid clicks into place, accept it won't click in. I am then unable to raise the hood back, it is unresponsive. I then have to use the tool to manually click it in. Opening the trunk manually is a pain using the key and is especially tricky as the boot does not open without exerting pressure on the hood cover as the boot lid fouls the gap.

At this point the hood is totally non-responsive and I have to manually operate from that point forward. It usually resets itself and goes back to normal operation sometime between 30 minutes and 24 hours. It seems totally random.

Any ideas what this may be? I've also had it on two occasions stop mid close cycle where the lower part of the hood raises. It has stopped dead in it's tracks and required manual closure.

I'm keen to know why the hood remains unresponsive for a seemingly arbitrary amount of time before resetting itself.

It's not a showstopper and not worth spending thousands to correct it, the car is 17 years old. Worst case I can operate the thing manually and deciding to adopt this option may be a long term solution as having all the kit out and ready makes it far easier.

Thanks...

Any ideas / suggestions???

Have you had STAR diagnostics carried out, as that will tell you what limit switch has failed (assuming it is a limit switch)

I'd have to pay for that diagnostic test. I can get free access to a comprehensive generic garage code reader at a local garage where I know them but this won't give the same as a STAR I guess.

Unlikely a generic reader will see much more than Engine codes. A quick diagnosis shouldn't cost more than £60 ish?

Thanks...

I've spoken to a local MB Indy who advised it could be a multitude of things but offered me a STAR read for £25 and then we can see where we go from there.

Probably be a while until I get around to doing it... I've lived with it long enough so not overly rushed to get it sorted and in some ways it would be better if it failed every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom