W208 coupe boot locked HELP!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CLK320W208

Hi, new to this. Just bought 2001 CLK320. Boot release button stopped working, fob won't release boot, neither will metal key. I understand the fuse (if the cause) is conveniently located in boot... Any magic trick, other than smashing rear light or cutting hole in 1st aid recess? Please help

CLK320W208 said:
Hi, new to this. Just bought 2001 CLK320. Boot release button stopped working, fob won't release boot, neither will metal key. I understand the fuse (if the cause) is conveniently located in boot... Any magic trick, other than smashing rear light or cutting hole in 1st aid recess? Please help

WD40 and plenty of it!!

if your cylinder lock isn't screwed up you can still use your metal blade key.

put key in the slot and push it in and turn left to unlock.
or maybe it was the other way, turn the key to the left and then press the key in the slot.
I always forget which one it was?

try either way

kowalski said:
if your cylinder lock isn't screwed up you can still use your metal blade key.

put key in the slot and push it in and turn left to unlock.
or maybe it was the other way, turn the key to the left and then press the key in the slot.
I always forget which one it was?

try either way

Thanks folks. Have tried wd40 in lock, no go, think I'm screwed!

Will key blade fully enter boot lock?
If so, will it turn left or right?
Is the lock keyhole slot in the Horizontal or Vertical position?

Key blade can’t be turned until the blade is fully inside the lock.
Keep trying with the WD40, push the Red straw right inside the key hole.

Dec

Took me a week to get my lock to work sprayed it every morning and every night .put key in lock and tap very very lightly with somthing helps to free lock mech up

Try soaking lock in oil putting the key in and vibrate it with something like a orbital sander .It has been known to shake the tumblers loose as it were !!

From memory the plastic tray under the 1st aid kit comes out leaving foam rubber you can pull to one side. You can then snare one of the rear seat release cables with something and pull or push on it and it should release one of the folding seat backs. 2 bolts hold the boot lid latch in place.

Lock is in horizontal position. I will keep trying with lube and be patient. Thank you all for your advice and support!

When the key blade is turned to the Horizontal position and the key blade is extracted from the lock so as to leave the key hole slot in the Horizontal position then neither the remote boot release fob button or the boot release button inside the car will unlock the boot, this is normal and intended to stop enter to the boot by unauthorised persons who don’t have possession of the metal key blade but have possession of the remote fob.

As the key slot is in the Horizontal position then there should be nothing wrong with rhe remote or the button to release the boot that is inside the car.

The only “legitimate” way into the boot is with the metal key blade.
Your lock barrel is seized due to infrequent use, only WD40/pebetrating oil will free it up so as the key can be turned to about the 10 o’clock position and then pushed inwards.

See, Separate Locking the Trunk, page 94 and 95 here… http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual/2003_clk_coupe.pdf
It takes a while to get your head around the boot locking, it can be confusing until you get used to it.

Will the key FULLY enter the lock key hole?... compare with the door lock.

Dec

Last edited:
Dec said:
When the key blade is turned to the Horizontal position and the key blade is extracted from the lock so as to leave the key hole slot in the Horizontal position then neither the remote boot release fob button or the boot release button inside the car will unlock the boot, this is normal and intended to stop enter to the boot by unauthorised persons who don’t have possession of the metal key blade but have possession of the remote fob.

As the key slot is in the Horizontal position then there should be nothing wrong with rhe remote or the button to release the boot that is inside the car.

The only “legitimate” way into the boot is with the metal key blade.
Your lock barrel is seized due to infrequent use, only WD40/pebetrating oil will free it up so as the key can be turned to about the 10 o’clock position and then pushed inwards.

See, Separate Locking the Trunk, page 94 and 95 here… http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual/2003_clk_coupe.pdf
It takes a while to get your head around the boot locking, it can be confusing until you get used to it.

Will the key FULLY enter the lock key hole?... compare with the door lock.

Dec

You guys are awesome and I am so grateful! Lock eventually yielded. Light sensor in boot was disturbed by valet and boot light permanently on so system confused, all now sorted no major issue except a £10 tip for woodside garage rugby, nick, who is a complete gent and great contact. Thanks again, all, ps still waiting 36 hours for MB dealer to return my call!!!!! :)

Check that your doors, if the both have locks, to see if the are in working order so that the car can be opened in the event that you have a flat battery or the central locking fails, in the future. Use WD40 (or other) and test all locks on a regular basis to prevent seizure.

Note, unlocking the car while the alarm is armed will trigger the alarm so test the locks with the car unlocked via the remote fob.
Good luck with it, glad you got it sorted.

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom