W208 covertible roof storage compartment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bybuys

Car
230clk convertible
Hi All
I have been reading loads of posts regarding W208 convertible problems which have already helped me immensly :) but have still not pinpointed what i need to do to resolve my own issue.:( I saw a post from Chris of Baaaarnsley that he was hoping to produce a complete step by step summary of what bit is doing what throughout the whole 'roof down' and 'roof up' operating procedure but have been unable to locate if he has been able to produce.

My roof problem is intermittents but always fails at the most inopportune and embarrassing times! After releasing my roof catch and pushing the roof up a few inches my windows come down and when necessary my rear headrests fully retract. The rear catch then operates releasing the rear window section of the roof which then moves up into the verticle position. The next operation is the one that fails - the roof storage compartment will not release. I am familiar with the noises it makes when it is operating correctly and it makes all the right noises but the catch simply does not undo, although it is trying. Releasing and re-operating the centre console button does sometimes remedy this but sometimes not. Also, very occasionally it will release but the storage compartment lid does not lift but I feel this is not the primary problem. On occasions, after the roof has retracted correctly and I am putting it back up it fails at the same point - roof storage compartment will not release. I would appreciate any advice on the remedy for this issue.

Finally a couple of general questions following up on previously read posts regarding roof operation;

1) Whenever mine has failed I have never needed to release the hydralic pressure in the boot to operate it by hand. I have always been able to push or pull as appropriate without too much effort - I am no Arnie S so is this normal.
2) where is my storage container/tank or whatever for the roof hydraulics -is it gas or oil - does the system ever need bleeding or any sort of maintainance.

Hi All

2) where is my storage container/tank or whatever for the roof hydraulics -is it gas or oil - does the system ever need bleeding or any sort of maintainance.

good how to on topping up fluid in the how to section :)

Thanks for the 'how to' Unit504.... very useful. Is there any way or need to bleed the hydraulic unit which operates the roof? For instance, I am assuming that if I replace any hydraulic ram I am going to get a loss of oil and some risk that air may get into the system. Similarly, if as you were, you get low on oil air may get into the system. Any info much appreicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom