W208: Creaking - ARRRGGHHH!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tpwuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 BlueTEC W212
Before I burn my car and throw it in the dock, can I run something by the forum please??

See this picture....

DSC00117.jpg

The black metal panel bolted down, which protects the roof motor & hydrolics etc. This is the source of my creaking! When I completely loosen the bolts, the creaking stops. So I assume the creaking is caused by friction between the panel and floor and the rear wall when it's fastened down. Is there anything I could place between the parts, eg. felt or something similiar to reduce the friction?

I'd guess from all the bolts in that panel, plus its weight, shape and location, that its got some structural value. Is it not possible to stop the creaking by tightening up the bolts, rather than by allowing movement e.g. by fitting felt?

Tried tightening which does reduce the creaking but after a few days it comes back.

How about a line of silicone ( like round your bath ) under the edge of the panel and then tighten up nice and tight which will compress the silicone ?

How about a line of silicone ( like round your bath ) under the edge of the panel and then tighten up nice and tight which will compress the silicone ?
There's an idea! :thumb:

I guess if the creaking comes back after tightening the bolts are slowly working themselves loose again.
I would try thread lock to hold the bolts in place once tightened, less messy than silicone and easier to undo if you need to, well with a bit of force :)

Hi,
I think i would go for a thin strip of rubber or felt in between, the silicone would be messy and make it very difficult to remove in the future.
You could try just removing it completly, and refitting it as it could just be slightly misaligned, due to the slack in the bolt holes locating the cover plate (if that makes sense).

Good suggestions guys. What are your thoughts about this panel possibly being structural?

Good suggestions guys. What are your thoughts about this panel possibly being structural?

It appears to bear some load as it has ridges and quite a few M10? bolts holding it in place. Best bet would be the silicone bead I think. Its strange but normally with Merc this kind of panel normally have a rubber strip between joints to prevent just this problem

Where could I buy some rubber strips from?

The silicone will only be messy if you are cack handed , do it carefully and you will be fine.

Just a thin line is all you need , it will be easy to remove if you need to .... a grown man versus a thin bead of silicone ? if you struggle , just run a blade down the back of it.

Mask along the top if you are worried about making a mess.

I'm fine with silicone, I'm quite a dab hand in fact. But just curious about what Andi said about there is usually a rubber strip between these types of joints.

I'm fine with silicone, I'm quite a dab hand in fact. But just curious about what Andi said about there is usually a rubber strip between these types of joints.

Its like a weather strip/noise damper/gasket? to stop rubbing and wearing unless its another Merc money saving exercise

Is it creaking because its loosening or is the metal too thin.
What about sticking some pc noise dampening sheet to the underside?

i remember a thread from a few years ago with this exact same issue.

i'm not going to start to begin to find the thread though, but it should be there somewhere. :thumb:

i think it was a W208 too... although not 100% sure

Another option would be the draught excluder strips used on doors that come on rolls, you simply cut the length, peel back the sticky side and stick onto the metal, job done.
Once you tighten up the bolts it will compress. Still think thread lock is needed though, as you say that you tighten the bolts and they work themselves loose again, with this movement, even only slight, will still cause a problem to whatever solution you choose.

Another option would be the draught excluder strips used on doors that come on rolls, you simply cut the length, peel back the sticky side and stick onto the metal, job done.
Once you tighten up the bolts it will compress. Still think thread lock is needed though, as you say that you tighten the bolts and they work themselves loose again, with this movement, even only slight, will still cause a problem to whatever solution you choose.
This kind of stuff..... ??

FOAM SELF ADHESIVE DRAUGHT EXCLUDER STRIP 15M BROWN on eBay (end time 05-Nov-10 20:35:48 GMT)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom