W208 Creaking Problem - Really Solved this time!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tpwuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 BlueTEC W212
So I've been living with a creaking problem on the CLK for almost a year. I've been told it could be bushes, broken coil springs, roof mechanism, electric window motor, seat belt anchors, rear wall or the underneath brace bars / struts. Well it turns out that one of those was the culprit!

Any guesses as to what it was and to what the cure was?? :)

I have fixed alot of noises on them mate, it usually is a case of tightening all of the bolts on the underside strengthning bars :thumb:

Justin was right!

I see... is this likely to cure the creaking on my W203?

I think the brace bars are only fitted to convertibles. I could be wrong though.

Thanks Olly.

I'll try the silicon spray solution then....

Thanks Olly.

I'll try the silicon spray solution then....

I am working my way around the car with a can of spray at the moment - pointing that can and plastic straw at anything that moves....

I see... is this likely to cure the creaking on my W203?

Creaking on my 203 was traced to be the front crush boxes moving against the chassis rails. Cured by removing and coating the mating faces with waxoil.

Creaking on my 203 was traced to be the front crush boxes moving against the chassis rails. Cured by removing and coating the mating faces with waxoil.

What's a 'front crush boxes'..? :confused:

They are the collapsible sections between the bumper and the chassis rails. For some reason, on my car, they would creak, sometimes a loud crack, as the car changed direction. MB removed the bumper and crossmember and the boxes and then coated the mating faces and reassembled. Blissful silence! :)

I am working my way around the car with a can of spray at the moment - pointing that can and plastic straw at anything that moves....

It will be a lower ball joint probably on your car. Not cheap at £160 each IIRC.

Get someone to rock the car side-to-side so the creak is there. The put your hand on all of the lower ball joints one by one and you should feel the creak.

Get someone to rock the car side-to-side so the creak is there. The put your hand on all of the lower ball joints one by one and you should feel the creak.

Many thanks, will give it a go at the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom