W208 Fastest fix for - Missing rear reluctor ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Avidd

Car
CLK 320
Hello, I'm looking for help please. I need to work out which is faster to change:
the rear reluctor ring on 2001 CLK 230 K OR the whole (half) drive shaft?

Bought it needing MOT'D started reading the forums have replaced speed sensor, cleaned out Mass, done brake light switch. Finally got a shot on a ramp today & may have found the culprit for most of the light show on the dashboard.

Thanks.

I have never changed a reluctor ring but I believe the half shaft will have to come off at one end anyway and heat treated to expand the old/new rings to aid fitting. if you have a decent half shaft to put on, then I would say it would be a faster job to just replace that complete with reluctor.

Do check what shafts you have as there are two different types for the 208 320(possible the 230 also, unsure what one your talking about), one have a splined end that fits inside the diff, the other is bolted to the diff.

Last edited:
Appreciate that. Its a 230, there's a cheap (bolt on) drive shaft on ebay that's in a better shape than mine. . .

Appreciate that. Its a 230, there's a cheap (bolt on) drive shaft on ebay that's in a better shape than mine. . .

confusion arose as your profile says 320.

Like I said, do check the diff joins are the correct type

Ah, I did have a 320. Its been a while and forgot about Profile...
Will double check in the morning but pretty sure its bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom