W208 front end lights upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BATFINK

Car
230 CLK
hello guys my first post,

i bought a beautiful 1 owner W208 from a friend and really enjoying the car, however the lights just are not bright in comparison of what i am used to and can look a little dated.

I actually polished the plastic lenses by hand with toothpaste as i saw it on youtube and it did make a good bit of difference removing oxidisation but il probably get them professionally polished by a friend but event at that it has a horrible yellow light and i have always used HID kits and love the difference it makes. So a light upgrade is definitely in the pipeline, what i need to know is what bulbs i need to completely remove the horrible yellow coloured lights from the front of the car, sidelights, high beam, headlights and spot lamps.

1. I notice the outside larger lights are just for main beam so these will be on the most so i will use an HID conversion kit for these at 4000k or 6000k for a bluer newer look. What are the bulbs inside these.

2. The smaller lights closer to the centre grill seem to have the sidelights and the main beam bulbs in there. i would like to replace these with whiter or slightly more blue lights, theres no point in having high beam HID as i don't think its possible for them to start up at full brightness when i use them and high beam is only used rarely so i think 55watt bulbs with a slight tint would do, what are the two sets of bulbs i need to put in there?

3. finally if you are still reading this, thanks, the Fog lights are not the best either so would need to upgrade the bulbs there too,
What do i need guys? thanks a lot for any advice.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome

The fitting of HID lights to cars that have headlamps designed for non HID bulbs has been covered on here many times and tends to bring out very strong views, nearly all of those being against it.

Also, unless you have self -levelling suspension and headlamp washers the fitting of such lights is contrary to the Construction and Use regulations and should cause the car to fail an MOT test although many will tell you that their car passes without problem.

LED's cannot produce the same light pattern as conventional bulbs so by fitting these to fog lamps you will considerably reduce the effectiveness of the those lights when used in reduced visibility.

There is a lot of information and debate here:http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/167834-why-you-shouldnt-fit-aftermarket-hid-kits.html

If your lights are yellow then check the lens and polish again as you suggest, also check the reflectors for corrosion and also check the earth connections for the headlights and the supply voltage, all or any of these can reduce light output.

cheers i perused that very thread before posting this but it seems i need to have a better read at it, thanks
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom