W208 Front Suspension Collapse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steam_biker

Car
W211 E320 sport Yamaha FZR 600 Genesis 1991
Has anyone else been driving along when their front suspension suddenly collapses?:fail
The top mountings for the front springs have disintegrated!
I see that Mercedes supply the repair sections and read something about a recall for this in Canada.
Is my car worth repairing, it is 16 years old with 143K on the clock.

I thought it was just w210's that suffered that, Hope your ok, as to whether its worth repairing thats a decision only you can make.

If you love the car why not?

I'd check the rest of the structure carefully before making your decision on the repair. If it's that rusty there what's it like on the sills etc?

As above though, haven't heard of many 208s with this issue but I bet there's a few others out there.

Last edited:
My wife and I are fine thanks. I can buy the repair panels from e bay for £22 a side, they suit W202, W208 and R107 models. 31 sold , so there must be a problem!

I jacked the car up and pulled the offside coil spring off by hand! The nearside has split too!

I believe the MB repair method for attaching new perches involves rivets?
That's never seemed right to me...

I believe the MB repair method for attaching new perches involves rivets?
That's never seemed right to me...

Really? I wouldn't dream of letting someone do that. Welded or nothing.

I haven't heard of struts making an escape bid since the late 60's early 70's Fords where repair plates were commonly fitted to relatively new cars.

My local MB dealer had the new perches on the shelf, £22 for the pair, they sell them regularly! A local garage is doing the job for £40 a side.:D

More common on w210 due to weight, w202-w208-w170 are all effected.

Happened to one of my customers going round an island, the Spring shot off down the road!

£40 is really cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom