Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stray Cat

Car
CLK 320 W208
Hi Guys
I was trying to change one of the rear number plate bulbs that didn't work and forgot the lights were still on, subsequently causing a spark and blowing the fuse...at least that's what I thought until I couldn't find the fuse!
Some post said they weren't fused but were controlled by the rear SAM module. Also not working since this is the lights on warning bleeper and the dashboard lights.

So firstly, what is a SAM module and what does it do?
Secondly, are all these fails caused by a fuse or SAM?

Thanks guys

:wallbash:

Depends on the year of the car early W208's are fused later ones are fed by the rear SAM.

SAM is a signal acquisition module think of them like individual ecu's for controlling various functions.

Multiple failures (like yours) from a short usually indicate a faulty SAM
These can be repaired by companies like BBA Reman and maybe certain Indies

If yours Is an early car check the fuses there are 3 fuse boxes N/S under bonnet, left hand side of dash when door is open, and In the boot. Can't remember the location but they are shown on the inside of the lids

Hey thanks Flango.
Its a 1999. I only found the fuse box under the bonnet by the drivers side bulkhead so will check the others but would all three fails be on the same fuse?
If its the SAM would a used replacement suffice?

Thanks

With 3 fails it sounds like a sam unit as those items not likely to be on same fuse.

Is yours a facelift? Easiest way to tell is does it have body coloured sill covers and indicators in the mirrors?

I'll look at mine tomorrow when I'm home and tell you which fuse it is as mine is pre facelift and doesn't have SAM

I'm sure one of the Indies in here will spot this thread and maybe advise further on SAM as I'm not that familiar with them

Same as mine by the sounds of it but can't see the pic it's marked private. Fuse should be in one of the locations I mentioned earlier. Will check as soon as I get to mine if you don't find it.

Thanks.

(The link might work now)

Okay sorted it and looks like you are lucky

Drivers side of car end of dash, between dash and door is a cover that pops off. Fuse is in there No 6 and it controls all the things you have that aren't working so looks like you just popped the fuse

Spare fuses and fuse extractor are located in main fuse box under bonnet drivers side wing/bulkhead

Hope that sorts but if not give us a shout

Nice car same colour as mine Azurite blue?

Okay sorted it and looks like you are lucky

Drivers side of car end of dash, between dash and door is a cover that pops off. Fuse is in there No 6 and it controls all the things you have that aren't working so looks like you just popped the fuse

Spare fuses and fuse extractor are located in main fuse box under bonnet drivers side wing/bulkhead

Hope that sorts but if not give us a shout

Nice car same colour as mine Azurite blue?
Hi Flango
YOU ARE THE MAN. however did you sort that? I'm still at work but will get to the fuse box as soon as I can.
I dont know the correct colour but I just saw it and loved the shape so I bought it! Dont know much about Mercs but I assume mine has had an AMG body kit after manufacture? I don't think the engine is anything more than a 3200cc factory.

Thanks again mate.

Hi Flango
YOU ARE THE MAN. however did you sort that? I'm still at work but will get to the fuse box as soon as I can.
I dont know the correct colour but I just saw it and loved the shape so I bought it! Dont know much about Mercs but I assume mine has had an AMG body kit after manufacture? I don't think the engine is anything more than a 3200cc factory.

Thanks again mate.

You are welcome any problems just shout. I love that AMG body kit really suits the W208

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom