W208 H&R Cup Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smile

Car
'02 W208 CLK Convertble
Hoping somebody might be able to offer some advice here...

I currently own a facelift W208 CLK 230K, which from searching this forum I'm led to believe weighs about 1345Kg.

Once Summer has come to an end and the weather starts getting cold again, I'm hoping to buy a facelift W208 CLK 320 convertible, which I'm led to believe weghs about 1655Kg.

I'm wanting to lower my current 230k, and I want to do it properly so I'm looking at the H&R Cup Kit which consists of both springs and shocks to lower ~40mm all round.
However, these are fairly expensive, so ideally I'd like to be able to swap it to the 320 convertible when the time came. My only worry is the difference in weight. H&R sell different kits for these different models, so I imagine the springs are stiffer or something.

So my question is, could I get away with using the same kit? And if not, is it likely I can keep the shocks and just replace the springs for stiffer ones?

Hoping somebody might be able to offer some advice here...

I currently own a facelift W208 CLK 230K, which from searching this forum I'm led to believe weighs about 1345Kg.

Once Summer has come to an end and the weather starts getting cold again, I'm hoping to buy a facelift W208 CLK 320 convertible, which I'm led to believe weghs about 1655Kg.

I'm wanting to lower my current 230k, and I want to do it properly so I'm looking at the H&R Cup Kit which consists of both springs and shocks to lower ~40mm all round.
However, these are fairly expensive, so ideally I'd like to be able to swap it to the 320 convertible when the time came. My only worry is the difference in weight. H&R sell different kits for these different models, so I imagine the springs are stiffer or something.

So my question is, could I get away with using the same kit? And if not, is it likely I can keep the shocks and just replace the springs for stiffer ones?

I've just checked and I list 2 different kits for the 208 CLK vs 208 CLK Conv

CLK -
982220031 (31007-1) - Sport Kit [Lowered FA [mm] 60 mm, Lowered RA 40 mm, For vehicles without ride height control ]
982220211 (40749-1) - Comfort Kit [Lowering 40 mm ]

CLK Conv
982220041 (31007-2) - Sport Kit [Lowered FA [mm] 60 mm, Lowered RA 40 mm, For vehicles without ride height control ]
982220241 (40749-4) - Comfort Kit [Lowering 40 mm ]

They are the same kits however the number after the dash denotes they'll have different springs (they may look identical, and fit identical but they would be different tensile strength, and therefore have different lowering capabilities)

Technically they should interchange, however you may find the 'comfort kit' on the normal CLK lowers is 40mm - put it on a heavier convertible and it may drop it 50mm (and vice versa)

However, to be a boring fart, we can only recommend the parts listed by H&R for safety and warranty reasons.

H&R sell different kits for these different models, so I imagine the springs are stiffer or something.

When I bought a Bilstein spring and damper kit for my W124, there were several spring options, depending on vehicle options and, hence, weight.

There's a 'points system' to identify which springs you need. On mine, even the existence of a radio added a point and tipped it into the next range.

One size definitely does not fit all.

RayH

I've just checked and I list 2 different kits for the 208 CLK vs 208 CLK Conv

CLK -
982220031 (31007-1) - Sport Kit [Lowered FA [mm] 60 mm, Lowered RA 40 mm, For vehicles without ride height control ]
982220211 (40749-1) - Comfort Kit [Lowering 40 mm ]

CLK Conv
982220041 (31007-2) - Sport Kit [Lowered FA [mm] 60 mm, Lowered RA 40 mm, For vehicles without ride height control ]
982220241 (40749-4) - Comfort Kit [Lowering 40 mm ]

They are the same kits however the number after the dash denotes they'll have different springs (they may look identical, and fit identical but they would be different tensile strength, and therefore have different lowering capabilities)

Technically they should interchange, however you may find the 'comfort kit' on the normal CLK lowers is 40mm - put it on a heavier convertible and it may drop it 50mm (and vice versa)

However, to be a boring fart, we can only recommend the parts listed by H&R for safety and warranty reasons.

Wow, thanks for the info! It's the Comfort Kit I'm interested in. Interesting though that the only differentiation other than the amount of drop is between hard-top and convertible. The way these kits are advertised elsewhere I was under assumption there were also different kits depending on what engine the car has as doesn't this make a lot of difference to overall weight?

If you think swapping the comfort kit from the hard-top 230K CLK to the 320 convertible CLK will only lead to a difference of about 10mm extra drop then I can't see that being a problem. I can probably even counteract that by using thicker spring pads if I need to....although lower is better for me as long as the arches clear my wheels!

Looking at the engine specific details:

It appears that (40749-1) fits the following 208's
40749-1.jpg

So i think thats everything except for the 430 and the 55AMG (heaviest vehicles i'd guess)

Fantastic! And I assume it's pretty much the same for the convertible kit?
Could you give me a price for the 40749-1 kit? I had a look on eurocarparts website but it's not listed yet. I didn't even realise you guys sold aftermarket parts.

Fantastic! And I assume it's pretty much the same for the convertible kit?
Could you give me a price for the 40749-1 kit? I had a look on eurocarparts website but it's not listed yet. I didn't even realise you guys sold aftermarket parts.

hehe, we like to keep some secrets, infact we are the sole UK importer for H&R products aswell as Apex, BMC and many more performance brands :p

however this means that we can only sell at the RRP price,

40749-1 - H&R CUP KIT (40mm) MERCEDES W202 C-CLASS - Aprox £500

I would recommend giving Olly @ PCS a call, they can also do excellent deals on fitting aswell!
His profile is here: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members/blackc55.html

Lowered my 00 clk200 convertible on Eibach springs and ended up taking springs off after only 10 days.
it went from this...
newfront.jpg

on the front, and this...
newrear.jpg

on the back, to this on the front...
IMG_7571.jpg

and this, on the back...
IMG_7577.jpg

IMG_7578.jpg

I would STRONGLY recommend using the correct spring compressor kit...
IMG_7576.jpg

They can be expensive, but it may stop you removing your head if you attempt to use inferior spring compressors such as this type...
IMG_7575.jpg

IMG_7568.jpg

Compressing a heavy duty lowering spring calls for some serious tools that will do the job safely!
IMG_7569.jpg

Incidentally, I found that the spring compressor was only needed for the front springs. The rear springs just fell out after removing 3 bolts as shown...
IMG_7572.jpg

Yes the height looked good but unless you intend driving it on anything other than a billiard table and in a straight line then you are going to do some damage. Ok so I had 19" turbines on but I was hitting the exhaust and the underside of the car on every bump and when I turned the steering, I scrubbed the arches and even snapped the front edges of the side skirts and this was only a 40mm drop. Also the ride comfort isn't as good as the standard springs and if you have back problems think again ;)

Lee72;1426710 I would STRONGLY recommend using the correct spring compressor kit... [IMG said:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/GT4072/Mercedes/IMG_7576.jpg[/IMG]

Could you say where you purchased the spring compressor?

hehe, we like to keep some secrets, infact we are the sole UK importer for H&R products aswell as Apex, BMC and many more performance brands :p

however this means that we can only sell at the RRP price,

40749-1 - H&R CUP KIT (40mm) MERCEDES W202 C-CLASS - Aprox £500

I would recommend giving Olly @ PCS a call, they can also do excellent deals on fitting aswell!
His profile is here: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members/blackc55.html

Approx £500!? Ouch! I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to use the forum 25% discount on these either?

Lowered my 00 clk200 convertible on Eibach springs and ended up taking springs off after only 10 days.
IMG_7578.jpg

Yes the height looked good but unless you intend driving it on anything other than a billiard table and in a straight line then you are going to do some damage. Ok so I had 19" turbines on but I was hitting the exhaust and the underside of the car on every bump and when I turned the steering, I scrubbed the arches and even snapped the front edges of the side skirts and this was only a 40mm drop. Also the ride comfort isn't as good as the standard springs and if you have back problems think again ;)

Thanks for the pics Lee, sorry to hear about your bad experience! That is quite worrying about hitting the exhaust. I have 16" wheels going on, which should hopefully mean I'm in less danger of arch rubbing issues, but it does mean that the car will theoretically be even closer to the road than yours was. My other wheel worry is that mine are very wide.
If you only changed the springs and not the shock absorbers for shorter, uprated ones, this could explain why the ride comfort was...uncomfortable as you'll have had little to no travel in the shocks.
I won't be fitting it myself, not confident enough that I know what I'm doing and don't fancy losing my face either!

Fitted Bilstein coil-overs to my 203. It looks great IMHO and handles very well. Ride is improved over the stock Sport Pack spring/shock setup, which was rather choppy. Bilstein have really engineered the rebound characteristics well. I have to be careful with speed bumps but otherwise have had no problems with clearances

whitenemesis-albums-my-s203-picture3895-bilstein-p14-coil-over-kit-fitted.jpg

Approx £500!? Ouch! I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to use the forum 25% discount on these either?

Unfortunately, as we are the UK importers, we cannot offer any discount to retail customers as we would outprice the resellers.

Rather than doing that, As i mentioned Olly @ PCS (above) is a reseller, he offers cracking prices and im told his service (they do fitting aswell) is second to none, as he seems to have customers travel from the midlands just to use his services.

Lee72
LOVE the turbines!!!
What wheel/tyre (front and rear) setup are you running?
Am i correct in saying that the before pictures are with standard shocks and if so did you have any hitting/rubbing problems then?
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom